1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What string trimmer brand should i buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LanierLawnCare, Nov 6, 2001.

1. LanierLawnCare

LanierLawnCare LawnSite Member

Too many brands on the market . Considering shindawa.:blob2:
  2. brandy

brandy LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

If you buy one you will know why this is the best on the market!!!
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I like my Echo SRM 2400........but do a search for trimmers and you will find an abundance of info!
  4. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have ran the echo 2400 when I first started and liked it because it was easy to start and very smooth, but it was tempramental.
    I now run sthil and it feels much tougher than the echo but is harder to start. I also like the sheild better and the air filter housing dosen't seem to let as much dirt in.
    I have also put some hours on the husqvarna and am pleased with it also, fairly easy to start and is real light. This will probably be my next purchase.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I love my Echos. They fire right up, always run strong, and last for years and years and years.:)
  6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

One word REDMAX. Their eingines do not die. I used to kill the echo 2400's in a season, either the piston would go, or short block. They also do not have a shaft driven head. The only thing you have to do w/ redmax is clean out the exhaust prot approx once every month t six weeks if heavily used. The only other con is the smaller sized shield. If you don't use a shield (but should), you probably won't mind th newer cut down version. If youlike the larger shield, remove the new style, and just put a small piece of rbber between shaft and bracket for older style shield.
    You would probably lik the strato charged 2500.
    I think the shindawa's hold up pretty well too, I demoed one years back and liked the power, but the shield sucked!!

Hope this helps.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run Stihl's. Love 'em.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Normally I say buy whatever your favorite dealer sells, but in the case of 2 cycle, buy whatever you want. I personally love ECHO, some people hate them, its all FORD vs CHEVY. All are good. Most never have any problems, so the last time you see the dealer is when you pick them up. At least thats how its been for all of my ECHO's.

Whatever brand you buy, dont skimp on price. All the brands make $149 trimmers and all make $350 trimmers. Buy the $350 one. Simple as that.
  9. grass chaser

grass chaser LawnSite Member

I run echo and they have never let me down. The only problem I have is the air filters seem to get dirty. I am constantly cleaning them.
  10. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Air filters getting dirty is a good thing! If your filters weren't dirty, where do you think the dirt has gone?