What string trimmer do you reccomend?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Slcareco, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering which would be the best to get for someone starting out?

2. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

I got a stihl fs85 pretty good, but my personal preference is the honda 4 stroke. so quiet, so smell, also it's got a very smooth clutch

3. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

echo or troy built any good?

4. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

something cheap$$$$$

5. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

an Echo costs about 265 and has good power. I have the head for pre- cut string peices. It's one season old and already I have problems. About 7 months of 2days per week and now I have to mess with the choke to get the engine to run right at high RPM. Dudes say I scored it. the oil and gas seperate and the heat from friction destroys the cylinder walls. I'm gonna try redmax this year. It's up and coming.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use the Robin 2050, It weighs about 8.5 pounds and has a steel shaft that you can use a blade with if needed. It sells for about $200. It will weigh about 2 pounds less than other trimmers and that adds up alot when you use it alot in a days time . here is a link to them check it out http://www.robinoutdoorpower.com/pro-trimmers.htm

7. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

8. unioncross landscaping

unioncross landscaping LawnSite Member

Kawasaki. Lightweight, plenty of power.

9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't speak to Echo, but I bought a Troy-bilt 4 stroke trimmer and burned it up in six hours. I took it back for a refund and bought a Stihl. Don't waste your money on cheap junk.

10. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Echo 260 and it is a great trimmer, but I don’t care for the dealer. I will probably go with RedMax or Shindiawa next time around. And it wont be a four-stroke.