1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what terms of payment do you use

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, May 9, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been way too leanient in the past sending out my invoices at the end of the month, giving 30 days to pay up. Now all new customers have 15 days, but thats probably still to leanient. How many of you demand prepay, cod, or invoicing & what terms?
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on their contract, credit history:

I have three categories;

1) 30 days ( great credit )

2) 15 days ( o.k. credit )

3) Prepay / C.O.D. ( enough said )
  3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

10 days (monthly billing)
    Prepay (contract)
    COD all others
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

So....do you all cal the customer if the payment is not received by the due date? Or send another bill with the late charge added?

What works best? I tend to think "these people are adults who signed the agreement" just charge them..... But when do you suspend service due to lack of payment?

I think pre-payment may be the answer....

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I send my invoices out on the last day of the month or I leave the invoice with the client if I have arranged to do so. My due date is the 10th of the next month. How long does it take a person to write a check, put it in my already addressed return envelope, place a stamp on it, and walk out to the mail box and put it in there? Evidently longer than 10 days in some cases. If someone is late more than once I then ask them to pre pay for the month ahead. I told them that it isn't because I dont trust them to pay because if I didn't trust them to pay I would drop them, but I have bills the same as they do and I need to make sure that the money I have earned will be availible when I need it.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

every 21 days payment is due in full. My regular major big customers I will give them sometimes an extra 5 days to a week to pay off the bill.
  7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Monthly invoices (mowing) have 15 days to pay. Says due within 15 days for terms and prints a due date as well. Most everything else is due upon completion of job (installs etc.)
  8. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

I give my customers a bill at the end of the month. That bill is for the following month (so my people prepay). If I havent recieved a payment by the 8th I stop mowing. That way all I'm out is my 1st mow of the month. I dont have time to take people to court.
  9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i send them a bill at the end of each month, and they have 5days to pay, but belive it or not, most pay on the day i arrive or they know im coming and put it in the mailbox for me :) its really great to have awsome customers like this, makes me happy
  10. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Send a bill out near end of month, they have til the 15th to pay or they get a $10 late charge.