1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What the crap is Fury Ring?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by EscapeLawnn'Garden, Apr 18, 2006.

1. EscapeLawnn'Garden

EscapeLawnn'Garden LawnSite Member

Ok so I just talked to a potential client on the phone today. I am just starting up my own company but I have worked in lawn maintenace for the past 3 years. She asked me a something that I had never heard before. First of all I could not understand clearly what she was saying. I asked her to repeat herself for me and then she proceeded to say to me "well you dont even know what fury ring(?) is so you dont need to bother coming by" and hung up on me. Firstly I have no clue what "fury ring" is she was saying something about it being on one persons lawn and bringing it to her house. Obviously I am not up on all the termonology I would like to be. I am a work in progress.

Anyone know what Fury ring is???????
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

3. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

She meant FAIRY RING, Chlorophy, Marasmius or others. It's caused by fungi as a result of high organic matter buried in the turf. Often it is accompanied by mushrooms usually following periods of moisture.

Treatment consists of fertization to match the surrounding areas, sometimes additional aeration and watering is needed. Generally persists till the buried organic material gets used up. Was this near a previous tree site? Fungicides for this are short acting and can be expensive and don't do much for the source of the problem... On the other hand her problem could have been something else since you never actually saw it. If she hung up on you,that's a PITA you don't need in your life.
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Fairy Ring is a soil pathogen which is actually a fungus surrounding individual soil particles. I have never heard of this pathogen being tracked from one yard to another.
    However, as the fungus grows it will migrate through the soil - some infections can reach 400' in diameter depending upon age, soil structure and initial source of site.
    Old trees that have been clear cut then had the stumps ground are an excellent host for this pathogen.
    Easiest thing is to aerate, fertilize then spray a solution of chelated iron to mask the fungus.
    Fairy Ring isn't fatal to turf, just occasionally discolors it is all.
  5. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

6. EscapeLawnn'Garden

EscapeLawnn'Garden LawnSite Member

Thank I was soo confused. I could not understand a word she was saying.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

HAHAAAHA "Fury Ring"!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:Now that's funny
    I could add some more comments about "Fury Ring" but I will refrain myself at this time.
  8. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, Learn something new on here every day. 1 of my customers had this in his lawn last year. Really noticable in early spring. Reminded me of ring worms every time i saw it. It was so green and lush i thought he went out in the yard and put fert down in circles. the grass never died though, it kind of evened itself out as the year progressed. never seen any mushrooms though.
  9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am listening????:drinkup:
  10. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I definitely have a mental picture..... :eek: