1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what the **** happend here??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trimmerman151, May 15, 2010.

1. trimmerman151

trimmerman151 LawnSite Member

I need help. I mowed six yards with a walker walk behind that we bought two weeks in a row I went back to mow thurs. and this is what it looked like. the tow times I mowed it was tin the afternoon, so no frost,it wasnt wet the grass looked pretty good. Chemlawn sprayed in late march early april fert. and broad leaf killer. A landscaper sprayed grass killer on a bank three weeks before I mowed. So what the **** happend here?

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know the answer but I had the same thing happen to me once in th a dry, hot part of the summer. An application had been put down as well. The customer called their applicator company and naturally they said that I had mowed it too short which was total BS. Is it dry in your area? I think mine was chemical burn and I think yours is too.
  3. eagleharborelite

eagleharborelite LawnSite Member

Not sure about your area, but in Florida when this happens, It's typically some type of fungus that has made its way onto the tires of the machine and transfered from one lawn to the next . But again, not too familiar with your area.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thats from heat and no moisture. It will be fine once you get some rain. Its not a chemical burn. Don't worry about it and explain it to the homeowners.
    I am not getting critical but I don't mow when it gets real dry even if there are some places in the lawn that need it. You may be on a contract that calls for weekly mowing but this is what happens when it is real warm and dry. Turn the hose on. You will notice that it is not happening in the areas where the grass has had some moiisture. If it were chemical or a fungus you would see it everywhere.
  5. cozymonkey

cozymonkey LawnSite Member

looks like it needs to be watered more
  6. EquityGreen

EquityGreen LawnSite Senior Member

That is Dollar Spot, a turf disease. You must have mowed a lawn with this fungus and spread it throughout your other lawns, shapen your blades, and apply a liquid fungicide ASAP and tell them to water, If you dont apply it will not grow back very fast and you wont need to mow anyways.
  7. trimmerman151

why is it certain parts of the yard and not others? I mowed the yards on 4 inches it wasnt dry or too hot maybe 75 or so.
  8. underPSI

underPSI LawnSite Member

uhhh, What? Sorry, but the o.p. lives in Virginia which, if like NC, has not received a decent rain in a few months. The grass looks bad because of heat and lack of water as previously mentioned in this thread.
  9. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Track & Tire marks from mowing a possible too dry lawn.
    I don't think it is chemical burn as stated unless you went across another lawn that had postemerge sprayed on it and immediately went to the next lawn without drive time.
    However, it looks bad and should recover after some good natural rain water.
  10. trimmerman151

the grass is completly dead and breaks off at the ground with no signs of life after a heavy rain on tue. do you think that putting sprinklers out would help any?