1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What the he\\ is causing this stripe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Oct 1, 2008.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

52" Wright Velke walk behind. As the picture shows, I made two passes together. What the heck could be causing the dark stripe that you see?

I know that it is the left most 3 inches or so of the deck. It happens even when the deck is cleaned spotless.

Can't be a belt problem. Spindle?? The left one seems ok. The deck belt is riding a little high on the IDLER pully, but that shouldn't be it.

Any ideas????

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Thats from your sulky I will guess a single wheel one thats normal from the single wheel sulkies.
  3. dcombs

dcombs LawnSite Member

does your deck have any anti-scalp wheels on it?
  4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

It is not from a sulky. The light color is TWO passes with the mower.

And, no, the mower does not have any anti scalp wheels.
  5. landmk

landmk LawnSite Member

:)How old are the blades? are the tips worn? and is the bevel on the blade edge at or around 45 degrees? I had a Ferris 1500Z that was very sensitive to if the blade's were sharp or not and the slightest bit of ware it would do the same thing took a long time to figure that one out. Every other day or more often if I whacked something hiding in the grass I would have to sharpen those baby's in order to keep the line monster at bay!!!!
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

almost looks like you missed a spot.
  7. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

In the picture, were you mowing left to right, or right to left?
  8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

there looks to be a deck overhang. Meaning, when your mower goes over the grass the deck and wheels push down the grass, but where the deck hangs over there is not enough weight to press the grass down. Either that or you are not cutting over far enough
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

It might be the discharge from the deck. Its blowing the grass in another direction.
  10. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Check your blade tips and the back edge as was mentioned earlier. Better yet just change then and see if it goes away