What the heck!...am i going to do with this?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by barefeetny, Feb 28, 2008.

1. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

This is a new customer who just called me

this is his new cabin.... notice anything strange? like super bizzaro why in the world?

He wants a few small lawns/driveway/ plantings the works.....

99% of it i have figured out....

everyone smart will help me with the area I have no idea how to handle without starting over

100_0341.jpg

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

The difference in grade- chimney and side stairs... wow, hahaha.

3. barefeetny

it looks like they nailed a plywood box to the home and then vennered the whole chimmney...i can't tell all i can see is the plywood bottom...

i think is going to come crashing down.... hard to belive right

i guess i could dig it out underneath... compact the soil, poor a couple footings and a slab and then block it up and try to venner it from the ground up.... but i don't know if i even want to get near it.....

hard to belive that such a nice construction is so flawed by one peice...

I don't want to grade that much soil back against the foundation....

this one is a stumper.... i've been staring at the pic for hours.....

4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

The chimney may come a toppling down. Doesn't look like much of a footing under it. Even if thats fake rock it's still a lot of weight bearing down on a little area.

5. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

the chimney chase is wood construction, the floor joist probably cantilever out passed the rim joist to hold the chimney up. more than likely it has reinforcement beams in there too. that's not a masonry chimney, its veneered stone which is designed to be light weight and the flue is triple wall stainless steel, also light weight. there is not footing because it doesn't need it, granted it would look better, but it is common construction.

6. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

How did that chimney even pass a building code?

7. barefeetny

the chimney is block and looks like its on a footing

building inspector would have checked that

but the veneer is just floating.....all i can see is the bottom peice of plywood....

i still have a foot of snow on the ground...... i don't know... for sure until spring...

like i said...I'd rather not even touch this thing unless i really have to... i have the feeling that if the bottom is this bad... it probably was a crap job through and through... i'm stuck for solutions to hide the ugly without making it look even worse...

8. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

Why are you trying to change the construction of the chimney there is nothing wrong there, doesn’t have a footing so what it doesn't need one. grade it out and put some plants around it.

9. barefeetny

the chimmney will float and look ridiculous unless i pile soil up above the concrete foundation....look how high it sits...

then I can rot the wood on the bottom board.... or risk going to flat and letting water get in next to the foundation...

10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, the chimney construction is not your problem. All you can do at the base is maybe add topsoil to make up some difference and soften the base with plant material. Maybe set some rock near the stairs to make a grade work. ?? good luck.