1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What the heck do people think!? then I snapped.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 9, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I am soooo tired of giving estimates to people, wasting my time and fuel and just annoying me to no end! I gave 3 estimates yesterday to people in a nicer location, 250k homes. One estimate was for $37.00/week for mowing about a 3/4 acre lot, trimming and I threw in a free edging of driveway every 3rd week. She looked at the estimate sheet and the first thing she said was "WOW, I didn't think it would cost that much" I told her the usuall shpeal about the amount of work etc. The second was about the same, with the same reaction. The third was a spring clean up and 12yrd's of mulch delivered and spread, cutting new edges around flower beds,(about 200ft total) Her price was $675.00. Her reaction was "Oh my gosh I never thought it would be that much", then I snapped I asked her how much she thought it would have cost her she said "well I don't know maybe a couple hundred dollars". I said to her well the I guess you would be out of business in a season. I asked her if she realized the amount of work involved, BLA BLA BLA. This season I have bid to the extent of almost becoming a lowballer and no luck.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

37 bucks for 3/4 of an acre? I do 10,000 sqt ft for 37 bucks.

Start bidding higher. You'll get better clients and not cheapskates.

3. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why I put a price o my flyer. When they call they already know how much it will be. I get about 85-90% of the people who call. Weeds out alot of the B/S.

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

A few hundred dollars :dizzy: Now thats funny your cost alone would of probably been that. Some people think we run a charitable organiztion I swear.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt say you snapped, but i admire your restraint. I would have SNAPPED.

6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have a few thoughts about that. It sounds to me that your prices are probably too low. 85% to 90% signup rate is the first sign of low ball rates. You probably never tried testing your market area. If you want to gain some management knowledge try testing twice a year. If your getting all those customers you clam, it shouldn't be a problem for you. Putting your prices on a flyer for your competition to see, then they lower their's. Sounds like a really bad idea to me. No wonder so many work so hard for so little. I think your shooting yourself in the foot. I don't know your area or how you operate but putting a price on something you have never seen is not wise. You may be the cause of a tough market. I do know Pa. is a tough market. I guess it comes down to your definition of what "alot of B/S" means to you. A little B/S today may mean a lot more money and alot less work tomorrow. Some customers want to put you through alot of B/S, just to see how you react. I like putting the B/S to them to see if I want them for customers. I think if you try to short cut the interview you will miss an opportunity. Some times we trip over dollars to pick up nickles and dimes.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think ChadA is getting the people that already know what the price is instead of the fishers looking for low rates. His price is probably in line becasue like he said it weeds them out. If you're not disclosing the price ahead of time and then get 80-90 % then yes you are most likely in the lowball range. The problem with ttalking percentages is that he may be getting fewer calls but gets the majority of those customers. Is that what you're saying ChadA ?

8. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

learn the art of negotation
    number one rule - balk at the first price given

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Problem is cheap people from PA! Hahahahaha!

10. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Your bid prices are already considerably lower than what we work for around here.

You are having some rotten luck.

Check your image.

Not meant to be offensive, but do you have an image that gives customers the idea that you will be cheap?

How do you handle yourself on the phone? I present myself on the phone as "knowing" what I am talking about. I have found that if you say "Well, I dunno" a lot and seem very unsure of yourself then it is like sharks smelling blood in the water. They think they can get a low price from you.

Be uniformed, professional looking, knowledgable and confident. ( Not say that you are not already) You might just be having a bad luck streak.

Good Luck