What the Heck is eXmark Thinking???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Turf Tracer, Jan 7, 2013.

1. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

guess i am the only one who cares about the transmission .

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Or, lack thereof...

170# seems very heavy for a machine that is "man-handled" on turns.

I would not discount the use of this engine on this mower. The two blades are shorter than a 21" hand mower, requiring much less torque to keep then turning. I don't think the specs say, but I expect the engine is running at 3,600 rpm, not 3,000 or so for 21" mowers. There must be a drive train with belts that enable pulley size differences. I don't see any pics with the deck drive.

Exmark-man, ... any chance of a series of pics (>10) with the covers off, more detailed shots in and around this machine? The promotional stuff is way too vague.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

see in my area there are a lot of 24" gates in the backyard. and if it is larger it will accomodate a 36" walkbehind so a 32" is useless in my area.

but I know every area is different.

4. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Senior Member

Please post pics of a couple different 24" gates if you have time. I would almost have to walk through one sideways!

Thanks!

And yes, manhandling a 170lb machine in a small yard would pretty much negate any benefit over a 21".

Dual Hydro or Death!

5. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats cool.. i thought they just put 16 hp engines on there 36 in mowers...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Kevin R

Kevin R LawnSite Member
    from Canada

The tranny has a wet clutch in it and was made specific for the 30", it's very heavy duty. It's NOT the same tranny as the 21 or 26

KR

7. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I dont think manhandling it will be too bad, I used a 32" ferris for years, with the single hydro and it turned just fine, you just have to use your momentum and it whips arounds, I know the exmark 21" are 115lbs and are very manuverable, maybe it the soil is saturated, but Im sure it will be fine, I'll be getting a toro as soon as its available, exmark dealer is a little far away for me, also Ive been told the exmark will be slighty more for whatever reason +100-150ish.

8. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

The belt is always tight, not a belt slip drive. It has a clutch inside the tranny

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Snaking one of these 170lb 30"s through a narrower (<30") gate should be a simple maneuver given 'most' circumstances.

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never seen a gate that a 30" mower wouldn't fit through, who does that?