What the Heck is this from???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Splicer, May 2, 2006.

1. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Moles? I thought moles left tunnels. These are strictly mounds:

mole hills 003.jpg

2. Splicer

A better pic....

mole hills 004.jpg

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Deep digging moles, possibly rabbits.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like gofers to me.

5. Splicer

Whatever it is, is coming from my next door neighbors yard. She NEVER cuts her yard but MAYBE once every 6+ weeks or so. She has a tractor, her father sends his ZTR over with her son at the intervals I mentioned.

We do have rabbits around but I have never heard of them burrowing under ground like this. A single burrow yes but these mounds came from underneath. I did take my roller and rolled the hills (in my neighbors yard as well) flat. Doubt it will stop whatever it is tho.

The pattern seems to be a path to my neighbor on the other side of me (if I'm lucky) but I don't want the rest of my yard gone thru. As it is it looks horrible and I doubt grass will return meaning I will have to seed.

Could the neighbor not mowing her yard have anything to do with it? Does not mowing encourage moles or gophers or whatever? These are strictly mounds, I have seen NO holes and they just seeme to appear in the neighbors yard.

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

looks like moles, they push the dirt up and make mounds when digging the deeper tunnels. get some Talprid or set several traps. you need to poke some holes into the run and check it in 24 hrs to see if it has been repaired by the moles. if it has then its a active run and it should be easy to trap or bait with Talprid.

7. Splicer

I rolled the mounds and sure F'n enough 2 of the mounds I flattened were burrowed out within a couple hours if that.

What is Talprid and where do I get it???

8. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Betcha its a Mole! Under those mounds of dirt are various tunnels. Traps work great, set as many as you can, remember to take of the safety before covering and check 'em often. We charge $35.00 bucks per mole caught for our regular maintenance customers; its a real racket ;) .

James

9. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Growing up near a lake, my parents used to get crawfish mounds in the yard. They would come up at night. That is just another option of something you might have. The mounds would be about that size.

10. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

There is always the ole standby....Stick a hose in the ground and crank 'er up. One crusty ole customer we had did this and paced around with his shovel till said mole popped up...mole met shovel, shovel won, no foolin'!

James