1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What the heck is this????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithers, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I planted Greenview Kentucky Blue grass mix (3 kinds of KBG in the bag) at a client's yard where she had a tree and two flowerbeds with WHITE STONES (marble chips over fabric).

She calls me and tells me that she has crab grass all over the patch where the marble chips were.

I told her, "no, that's just grass starting to grow". well, i went there and sure enough.....there is the actual thin shoots of grass, but there is this TALL, LIGHT green, weird looking grass, that's not really grass.

can anyone tell me what this is? I have never seen this.

The other area where the tree was seems to be ok. but where the marble chips were, there is this thing overtaking the grass.

i have included a few pics to help identify it.

please help. there seem to be a few more patches close to the ex-landscape beds that i did not even touch.

could it be something in the fabric? the marble chips?

2. Smithers

here is the actual "crab grass" on laying on the pavement.

3. Smithers

here, you can see it's spread out of the area where the landscape bed was..

4. Smithers

another one.

5. Smithers

you can see the actual KBG shoots in between the crab grass when i make some room.

6. Lazer Man

Lazer Man LawnSite Member
    from SW Pa.

Looks like a weed to me. Look at your bag of grass seed generally most I've seen had a certain amount of other seed listed on the contents , it's impossible to keep a weed seed out of any type of seed mixture. Just my observation.

Bob :) :)
  7. Smithers

well, yeah, i think it's weed, but why did it happen where the landscape beds use to be?
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I know nothing. Foxtail?
  9. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

doesnt look like crabgrass because crabgrass grows in a mat form, not upright. it really looks like johnson-grass up close, but the picture at a distance makes me think it isnt because of its low height. get on Ohio State's ag website and go to the turf section, you should be able to find a pic or at least a description to find out the species.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to tell, but it does look like johnson grass. If you overseeded the whole place and it only came up in the ex-landscape area, that leads me to suspect one of two things.

(A) This was dormant or supressed under the landscape fabric
    (B) Your seed was contaminated and it only took hole in this area due to less exisiting competition.

My hunch is (A) though.