What the heck is up with the gas prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpel2004, Sep 12, 2008.

1. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

What the heck is up with gas prices, I filled up this morning and 87 octane was $3.87 this evening the price was 4.95 for regular. And it may go up.....*trucewhiteflag*

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Must be the threat out in the gulf. I noticed it went up about 30 cents today here in southern virginia/northern nc.
    I went to get about $50 for the big truck to see me through the weekend and while listening to the radio, they were announcing the states attorney general number to complain about price gouging. Tony

3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

The hurricane will be/is shutting down refineries, wich will cause less gas to be refined, which = higher gas prices.

4. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

One chain of stations went from $3.51 yesterday to $5.17 today!! Hope they can prove gouging from the state's AG office.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All right, I will tell you what is going on but it is kind of a secret
    so don't tell nobody, anyhow, here goes:

Gasoline is going up in price.

6. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wonding how long it would take people to notice
    seems to be going up 10cents a day over in less then a week its went from $3.69 to $3.89 and $4.19
    with the rate people buy gas i could only imagine the profits there raking in.

7. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

GREED !!! if there is even a SLIGHT RUMOUR of an interuption in supply they jack the price up IMMEDIATELY... but when there is no interrupition in the supply or a surplus they are very very slow to bring the price back down ..

8. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive done some research and learned to get used to it for the time being. There was a bill passed about a year ago that states in 2012, all vehicles must have a minimum of 35mpg. The only way they are going to reach and keep enough power is to go diesel. In the mid 80's Ford had a Diesel Ranger that got 45mpg. Mazda discontinued there 2.3L diesel the next year so production stopped.
    I just got word that the new Jeep Libertys are diesels. Im expecting Ford and Chevy to have some type of vehicle to compete with them. Its only a mtter of time. Hopefully sooner then I think....

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That won't happen, diesel always has been and always will be a limited production engine and thus vehicle.
    Diesel is not the golden egg everyone always dreams of, and there are more than a few very real reasons for it.

For starters diesel isn't cheap.
    The engines cost a lot, and so does the upkeep.

It doesn't work like a gasoline engine at all, most shop mechanics can't even work on it,
    it takes special training and a specific diesel certified mechanic just to work on a diesel,
    they charge a lot of money but mostly because it takes a lot of hours, hence labor is high.
    Another way to put it, there is little about a diesel engine that is simple, or easy to fix.

They are very inefficient around town, short trips kill the diesels efficiency,
    it would never work for daily commuters.

That a few cars here and there roll off the assembly line with a diesel engine, no argument there.
    But diesels are really only profitable on vehicles that expect to roll out a lot of miles, such as 18-wheelers, and trains.

So...
    What will happen is the same thing as what happened in the 80's...

New automobiles will acquire new technology which is already available but the reason
    it hasn't been implemented is because it drastically increases the price of a new car.

So, for a new car that now costs 20-30 thousand...
    Soon I'd say we'll see 40-60 thousand being the norm.

That is what most likely is going to happen, mostly
    because we done been there and done that.

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a lot of interesting stuff that you just made up !!:laugh: