What the heck is wrong????

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by rvsuper, Apr 13, 2004.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I was mowing with my Metro 5 speed yesterday, and I had to literally KICK the shifter to neutral, it was really hard to shift from first to neutral. Then I saw that there is no more 5th gear, and neutral is when you put the shifter on "R" for reverse. So that means 5th gear is actually on 4th. What's the deal?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

rvsuper,

Here are a few suggesions: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=67307

I would probably avoid kicking the knee shifter. That's a pretty good indication something isn't correct. In addition to the attached thread it also sounds like the shifter plate (decal panel) may have shifted slightly as well. This is pretty unusual. You may want to get your unit into the dealer for inspection. There may be a couple of things going on.

Thanks,

Terry

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I put some WD-40 where the shifter meets the transmission case...it shifts alot easier but 5th gear still doesn't work???

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

RvSuper,

If it was my machine I'd look at the shifter plate and double check to see if neutral lines up with the N and 1st lines up with 1 etc. If not I would loosen the shifte plate and slide it over slightly to see if I could find 5th gear.

If everything lines up on the plate and you still can't get 5th I'd take it in and have the dealer look at it.

Thanks,

Terry