1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What the heck???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doug Z., Sep 15, 2006.

1. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

Yesterday, I jumped on my John Deere 345, to mow this little bit of lawn that i didnt get mowed earlier, at my house, and it seemed there was a bad vibration. It was only 2 minutes worth of mowing, so I finished it. The lawn looked bad too!
    I took it in the shop, and pulled the esck off. There was my problem, I BENT one of the blades-not a nick out of it, but bent. I must of hit a stone behind the shed, and, wearing head phones, never heard it.
    Any body else done that??? I was suprised that I didnt nick it, or do worse damage t the mower to do that...

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

nope never bent a blade.

3. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I can't imagine hitting something hard enough to bend a blade and not hearing it. I've bent two bades and both times it made and loud clunk.

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I've bent them on tree roots but the mower was a Murray
    residential type. Noticed it right away by the looks of the
    dipped down side of the mowing path. Who says a bent blade cannot be straightened ? I have and used it until
    all three of them wore out.

Never bent a commercial blade though.

Nosmo

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It isn't hard to bend a blade...sometime the spindle bolts get bent at the same time better check that.

6. par69

par69 LawnSite Member

I hit someones river rock the other day with my JD 757. Nicked it up good but did not bend. The rock was the size of a softball.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Some residential mower blades are not all that stiff/rigid.
    Especially aftermarket blades for homeowner mowers.

I've bent several on lawn tractors.
    But I knew it every time.
    I'm stupid and never wear hearing protection.