1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What the hell is THIS??!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yz250fpilot, Jul 4, 2005.

1. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

I have looked all over for something that describes this crap that keeps popping back up on fescue that I cut. It has been VERY humid and moist here in Alabama lately. I have seen a lot of brown patch around here lately, but I don't know what this is. I applied Bayleton a few weeks ago, but I even have the brown patch coming back! Sheesh...

2. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member

Powdery mildew?
  3. yz250fpilot

I was thinking maybe slime mold? It seems to turn black after a day or two. I have never had a problem with slime mold before, so I have never personally seen it.

4. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

I agree it looks like powdery mildew. It comes from all these afternoon showers we've had. I've never had any problems with it doing damage to the grass. I wouldnt sweat it.
  5. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

YEs, that is slime mold, not uncommon with very high humidity and high temps through the evening and nighttime hours. ITs typically a cosmetic situation, i've never seen where it has done any permanent damage to turfgrass except to slightly stress where its heavily inflicted. Most mowing will remove a majority of the mold and sometimes even using a shop broom to brush the spores off will hinder their appearance.
  6. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

7. yz250fpilot

Good link! Thanks a lot everyone...slime mold is what it is! :)
  8. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, powdery mildew the spores aren't as large.

Slime mold.