1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What The Hey

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dtxwizard, Nov 25, 2005.

1. dtxwizard

dtxwizard LawnSite Member

Well here we go just wondering whats up with about 75% of the members of this forum?

here's my beef I joined lawnsite thinking it would be informative and beneficial to a new guy to the biz. especially the just starting in business threads sounds like where a newbie would go to ask questions and get valuable info on estimating, tips to make the job at hand easier and a wealth of experienced knowledge so that the new guy can go on an estimate or job and act in a professional well educated manner to try and make a name and a good reputation for themselves

But instead they get grief and a load unprocessed fertilizer about like if you don't know your costs and expenses you should'nt be doing it or do you there is a spell check on this website or if all you have is a push mower and a rake you need better equipment, if your doing it to cheap your the scum of the earth, you need a 17 page contract before you start any job, well you all know what I'm talking about you have all seen it and very seldom does the question at hand ever truly get answered

and then you guys wonder why some people are low-balling prices and doing substandard work when you did'nt help them like they asked for in the first place

so I think if you want to vent on something just because you had a bad day or run a crappy business yourself you should start a thread in the off topic forum stating as such

and then try and help the people looking for help instead of trying to ruin their day too

thanks just venting I think I need to go to an off topic forum :waving:
  2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that some people can be rather crude and harsh at times but I also think that there is a wealth of information out there on this site. There are a lot of threads that have valuable information in them but you might have to sift through a lot of manure to get to it. It takes a little time and work to find what you want and some people might give you the wrong answer but that is just like the real world, isn't it? Nothing is easy nor given to you. You have to work for it.

You also have to realize that some of the questions are monotonous and redundant- what's better, faster, easier? That's all on here -you just have to look.

I noticed that you are 40ish so you are not a teenager ( not bashing teens but he has been around a little longer ) and you probably have some legitimate questions to ask but you haven't asked any. What do you want to know?
  3. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

:) Welcome to lawn site , ahhhhhhhh i used to let it get to me to but ya know what, It's My buisness im the owner not them, It's My equipment that gets the job done , not their's , Its me that knows the area and sets the prices not them , Other word's the ones who bash others equipment constantly has what i call. Smalltesticularsyndrom, Any way hang in their and your going to find out in your own mind if ya pay attention some of these guy's dont have a goats ass in hadies what their talking about , some i really doubt they even are in buisness mowing grass ,
  4. dtxwizard

dtxwizard LawnSite Member

I dont ask many questions?

I have literaly read 1000's of posts and found lots of good info just tic's me when sombody asks a legit question and i have to read 20 post of bs to get the answer and I'm sure its not just me
  5. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

I'll keep this short. I have gotten lots of great info on here. The posts you speak of will help me do better next year. I wish maybe you would have complained about how many posts per day asking on how to price a job without giving much info, or posts asking what kind of mowers to buy but don't list how many lawns or what their plan of growth is. Maybe next time type on how to use the search archives to create more quality posts. Mosts topics have already been covered twice this week.
  6. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I agree with you that even the most seasoned LCO's on this site give smart azz answers instead of really trying to help. I've said this once and I'll say it again, take from this forum what you think is valuable, ignore the smart azz answers and utilize search. I don't know of any other forum that will have such valuable advice. Remember even when you are a well seasoned you'll still be scratching your head at times, saying to your self "what theeeeeee hell just happened" :p. Thats what makes being in business so fun, you never know what tomorrow will bring, may be $$$ may be ;), just make sure it's the latter most of the time.

Have fun
  7. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

If your looking for advice and all your questions answered...enroll in some college courses on what you are trying to do,get some books on the subject and get out there and get experience...what you hear on this board or any board for that matter should be taken with a grain of salt, plus there isnt an easy way to learning this biz...nobody can answer all your questions, nobody knows your work ethic...there is no template on exactly how to do everything or how to be sucessful...when your starting out its all trial and error. Be patiant and Best of luck to ya.
  8. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Get over it.

9. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I think were here to help each other out not be cool, right howard.

O'Donnell Landscaping
  10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i hear ya but dont be discouraged it all serves a purpose some of the experienced guys make good and justifable points, if you look beyond the fertiliser and the delivery. good on you for raising your opinion. when i advertise my business i get about 10 worthless calls before i get one good one its similar when posting a thread. take some advice dont take it to seriously and enjoy the site. its made a difference to my business