What the %*!# is wrong with people anymore?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Geez... I tell ya... I'm just about burnt out on dealing with PEOPLE anymore.

It's to the point you can't do anything nice for anyone anymore.
    It's to the point you can't trust anyone when it comes to a dollar.

Heck, anymore it is to the point most people don't even have the decency to call/write/notify you that they have decided to hire someone else.

But the heck of it is, people actually have the gall to question why you do business a certain way, knowing dang well what they are like themselves.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know what you mean, man... But look before you leap, seriously (I should follow this advice lol).

twice in the last 2 days I pulled up and some other mower's tracks are in the yard...
    The second time (today), I crossed one off the schedule but watch it:
    You might want to ask, just in case... I have 2 customers who will cut their own if I don't show in exactly the timeframe they want. They are just that picky, but so long I keep them on an accelerated schedule, I get paid for it.

So you want to find out what is going on, at least the first time, just to make sure... You can always get po'd later, but until you figure out the deal, it's still a bit of a potential gain / loss thing.

But yes, it frustrates me severely when I pull up and the grass has been cut, don't care by who, and they don't call to let you know.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I don't trust, like, or do anything nice for people with the exception of veterans day and some free cuts.
    Its a dog eat dog world and if you think your customer will like you more because your nice or you trust them to pay or treat you like anything more than a lawn boy your wrong.
    Your just a lawn boy thats there to perform an agreed upon service and anything more or extra is just time out of your day and money out of your pocket.
    Do the job take there money and if your lucky you can do it again next wk.
  4. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Just like the soup nazi.....he's so good he can dictate his own terms and people line up for the abuse.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well I don't believe that Olderthan....Don't believe you are like that at all.
  6. olderthandirt

from here

Believe it! I'm not in this to make friends only money. So after I get paid why should I care about what the "customer" does or thinks? If they find someone cheaper that will kiss there azz and do the same quality of work your history.
    Happens everyday, I only need to go out and lowball a bunch of account and I can fill a wks scheldule if I wanted to do it that way, and still make a profit.
    But there would be someone else doing it to me after a couple wks. Why do you think rates are so low? Dog eat dog world.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

You are right. But with me, it's not even a case of "they will like/appreciate me/this."

It's more like the things you let slip up and bite you after you build a 'comfortable' business relationship with a customer. When you get to the point where you don't sweat certain things because they have been such a good customer in whatever department....

Like the type of customer that for instance pays in person and should they happen to not be around when you are, the check is in the mail postmarked the same day or the next, even though you wouldn't mind just picking it up next week. Or the type that wants you to take care of whatever you see that needs attention and leave an invoice instead of waiting to ask them, ect.

One day the time comes that you are just comfortable with the SOP/protocol and you go one level farther than before in good faith. Then it comes back to bite you.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

That's the other thing. NEVER, have I once EVER been replaced with someone providing the same quality work. To be absolutely honest about it, I have NEVER been replaced EVEN ONCE with someone who does even remotely acceptable work... and that's the truth.

I think that bothers me even more. It's always some friggin butcher that makes the place look like a crying shame, and a high percentage of the time it's some guy with no string trimmer or blower I guess. The type that just butchers what they can get at with the mower and heck with the rest...
  9. olderthandirt

from here

I know exactly what your saying, and Iv'e been bit. Thats why I developed my attitude, if you don't expect anything from then except a working relationship then you can't get bit. [ a working relationship consist of what is written in a contract or on a change of work order only] Dealing with people is easy, when you act like you don't care about them and they need you more than you need them they will believe it. Its like getting reservations at the last second to a great restaurant the food might only be marginally good tasting but if you can't get a reservation you think its better than what it really is and you appreciate the fact that you could get a table.
  10. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I attribute much of the behavior of people and their money to our credit system. Everything is about your credit report and nothing else matters. It's like putting a 75mph speed limit on a road. It's proven if you left off the speed limit people would drive slower than if you put 75 up. Sure, some would drive like idiots but most would drive 60-65.

It's the nature of people to follow the closest system which is put in front of them. If no system is there they will make up their own from their life experiences, belief system, ect. However, our credit system is 100% about big businesses, little companies like us get squashed because we don't count if they pay or not. Try and have them sign a document saying you'll report them for nonpayment on their credit report if they don't pay? they'll look elsewhere.