What things do you include on your flyer for the most hits?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by r_snowrider, Aug 7, 2005.

1. r_snowrider

r_snowrider LawnSite Member

Any of you fellas have any good ideas for a newspaper insert. I guess it's just a flyer, but what should I put on it to get more hits? Pictures, paper color, coupons, layout, etc. Any suggestions on what has done it for you in the past?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you use or put on them, you have to GIVE them something. Or atleast give the illusion that you're giving them something. This is done by giving them something of redeeming value. Make it worthwhile for them to call you. Give them REASON. In other words, don't just do a flyer that says This is me... here's what I do. You have to have some sort of special. Give them 10% off price coupon (make it look like a regular dotted line/cutout thing. OR, you give them a service when they purchase something else...whether it be a mowing with the cleanup, or whatever. I use this example, because this is a prime target. It is a gimmick. People think they're getting a f
    ree service, when in reality, the mowing is really helping YOU with the cleanup, because it shuffles everything to the top so it's easier to move, AND it reduces the material. Anyway, that is just one example. Look at what other services do. A pizza place gives a free 2 liter bottle of pop with a pizza (or another pizza). An oil change place gives a "free" filter or x% off of regular price with ad. A carpet cleaning place does a "free" hallway with 3 rooms cleaned,...etc.
    Anyway, if people think they are getting a bargain, or getting something for free, THAT's what draws them in. It's marketing.

I just met an lco the other day. Heck of a nice guy. He mows about 100 accounts a week. Has Tru-brown taking care of his accounts. Why? Because they give him 10% off regular pricing. I want his business, so guess what? I'm going to sit down with him and not only educate him a bit on proper turf management, but I am going to improve HIS bottom line and put more money in HIS pocket.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

excellent post runner. :waving:

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

ill definatly use that advise runner, thanks.

5. r_snowrider

r_snowrider LawnSite Member

Runner never fails to give me some killer advice. Thanks for your additions to this site man. It's people like you that give us a reason to log on. I will definately use your advice on my flyer. Thanks a million.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Well said...

I also believe what helps is repeated mailings. Don't just mail the flyers once. First, second, third time they will probablly just throw it out. Mail it multiple times. After awhile the people will start seeing your truck/trailer (Whatever...as long as your name is on it) in the neighborhood or around town. It is another form of marketing. just getting your name our there.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Geez, I'm glad I was finally able to give some actual USEFUL information for a change!

8. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

its nice to see a useful tip instead of a smart a$$ comment.. thanks Runner

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi r_snowrider,

You want to create an offer that a consumer will jump on that is valid for a specific time frame. After you put the flyers out you can judge the results and then maybe tweak them a little in efforts to improve the results.

Here is a sample flyer that might give you ideas. Click on image to download.

[​IMG]

<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>

10. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Runner has given excellent advise. Nothing like a bargain to get the calls comming in. I am reading a book by a man named Jay Abraham. It is called " Getting everything you can out of all you've got" St. Martins press. He discusses something he calls USP (Unique Selling Proposition). He says the USP is one companies uniqueness over the competion. He discusses and gives examples of how a business large or small can market and gain more business by explaining to customers why their companys' unique features are right for the customer. He rcommends asking yourself what the customer is really looking for and then exxplaining how your company provides that service.

For my company I am going to mention that I am a full time professional owner operator. I am insured and here for the long haul. Also I provide full service. People want things easy and simple.

This is a great book and it sounds like Runner has read it.