What this job is about, [for me] concerning the Memphis storm devastation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, Jul 23, 2003.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

We did what we could, with so many people in need. The homemade sandwiches and iced Coke-a-colas provided by the neighbors refreshed us while we toiled. The volunteers, little boys, teenagers, and the elderly, [we all pulled together], all concentrated to drag limbs from where they were cut to where they needed to be. We were all just ordinary citizens pulling together as a team. All present were accepted and welcomed, [comradries] no names or salutations exchanged, we were instant friends, all too busy, trying to help each other and to do the right thing. We responded and gave it all we had, [we all had heard the tornado sirens and seen the news] Armed with our chainsaws, pole saws, wheelbarrows, and plastic. [I still need to get the mega-blower!] we ventured into the devastation of Midtown Memphis. 350,000 homes without electricity in the city. With profit on my mind, humility in my soul, I had a very rewarding day in so many ways.
  2. And the storm was??????

A Tornado, Black out, Riot, Flood...........
  3. captken

Forcasters said the storm is called a derecho [pronounced day-ray-cho] a Spanish term referring to a long duration wind storm.

Memphis Commercial Appeal. www.gomemphis.com

It was an intense straight line wind. It is said that at the Agricenter international, East of I-240, it was reasonable that the winds aproached 90-100mph.

Where I live, the tornado sirens went off as the winds moved through. It was a sustained straight line wind. That just leaned trees over one way, gale force winds.

Parts of Memphis look like a war zone.
  4. captken

There is work a plenty here, in regards to lawn cleanup. Have to be careful due to downed powerlines everywhere.
    Tree quys everwhere, I saw crews from out of state in bucket trucks, lining up to go in neighborhoods near Galloway Golf Course.
    About half of my lawns have to be cleared of debris before business can return to normal.
    Using Power Pruiner and Stihl 026 pro saw, as well as well as the Hustler Z to pull a lawn trailer [hauling limbs]
    Need to buy the new Back Pack today.....
  5. DAMB that's some winds.
  6. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

these winds are referred to as straightline winds. Like a lazer cutting and destroying anything in it's path.