What Time Do They Call?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davink, Apr 6, 2008.

1. davink

davink LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am just curious as what time of the day your clients try to get in touch with you? I am a solo op, and work out of my home. My land line gets shut off, but my cell usually is on, I just don;t always answer it. I am just curious what you feel is appropriate times to answer between. Lately I have customers calling first the land line, then the cell line immediately after, and as late as like 10 - 11 pm. What times your latest calls come in???

2. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

If they call that late they probably want to leave a message.

3. davink

davink LawnSite Member
    from CT

that is what I would think, but I have watched the phone before. Caller ID will show the number on the land line, my voicemail picks up.. No message, thirty seconds later my cell phne number is ringing? I'm like WTF don't I have a life and deserve not to be bothered late in the evening? I really have to wonder about some people..

4. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

If my wife or I are not in the office, we shunt the land line business telephone off to the mobile telephone and pick up every call, from early morning when I power the mobile back up until 6pm Monday-Saturday. We carry pen and paper everywhere, on wheels and on the mowers. Voice note on the mobile is a good reminder too.

Sunday the mobile is off.

5. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Sometimes I get calls before 7 in the morning. They want to get hold of me before I leave for the day.I never leave the house before 9 to do residentials-who wants to wake up to the lawnguy mowing next door? I do have some commercials I can do early without bothering anybody.As far as late calls doesnt bother me, never had one after 10.

6. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

I get calls at all times throughout the day and evening, which is fine with me, the more calls i get the more work i get, and i learned a Long time ago to Never turn down work. as long as theres enough light out to see i will go to give an estimate. april through the middle of Nov, i will Bust my ass because things are always alot slower in the winter months.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My business number is my cell phone. It gets turned off at 9:00 pm every night.

I set up a free email account through Netzero a couple of years ago. Now probably 80% of my customers send requests and questions via email. It's great since I'm usually on a mower somewhere when they call.:)

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Busiest phone hrs are 8:30 -9:15 and 4:30-5:15 . When they first get to work and right before they leave.

9. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

the earliest someone ever call me was about 12 or 13 years ago before i was married the phone rang at 4:30AM guy said he wanted to catch me before i left for the day. I dont give my cell # to my customers.

10. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

When I first started I used my cell as my business and did for 3 years after that. NEVER again will I give out my cell #. I got a landline and thats it. After 8:00 the ringer is turned down low and is turned back up the next morning.

Dont ever give out your cell # unless you absolutely have to.