What time do you start mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Jan 13, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

During the mowing season, what time in the morning do you start working? Im talking residential mostly. If you start too early you may make customers mad and morning dew will be a factor. Ive been getting things going at 8:30 and most days were done about 4:00 pm. Also how long for lunch? do you go to fast food or take lunch with you?

2. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

9:00 am Take my lunch take about 30 min.
    But I start loading truck at 7:30

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I personally load the trucks and mowers, equipment, ect. starting around 6:30 or so (depending on the time of the year). Mowing begins anytime around 7:30.

Lunch? What is the hell is that? J/K. Most of my guys bring lunch and coolers with them. They normally only need like 20 minutes or so. Nome of them do the fast food thing btw...

4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I start loading the equipment at 7 a.m. Move out at 8:00 and do commercial properties first.

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I like to leave bewtween 7-7:30. Usually done by 5:00 but depends on the weather.

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Start mowing at 9:00 am. We cannot start earlier than that per our contracts. My guys usually bring their lunch. They get 30 mins. for lunch plus two 15 minute breaks during the day. We work until whatever we have scheduled for that day is done. Usually 5 or 6. We work Mon.-Sat. Have worked Sun. on occasion when we get behind.

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Start checking out the truck and all fluid levels around 7:15. Load the equipment and recheck them to make sure I didn't miss anything the evening before. On the road by 8:00 and start mowing by 8:30. I work solo and don't take lunch breaks. Pack a cooler in the morning and eat while I'm driving from one job to the next. BTW-eating is more of a task than a pleasure, and all my breaks are taken while I'm staring through a windshield.

8. greensideup

greensideup LawnSite Member

My guys get here at between 6:45 & 7. We use enclosed trailers, so there is nothing to load. I make any repairs and change blades at the end of the day. Everything is ready to go in the morning, so wee leave just about 7. Get done between 2 & 3 most days.

9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just like bayfish, start my commercial props first. I had one guy that lived in an apartment next to a commercial property I did. He got mad came outside and said he doesnt want me next to his residence at 7:00 in the morning mowing. Told I had to start this early to get everything done (my busiest day) so he called the cops came. Police talked to us both and said by law I can actually start whenever I want as long as I'm only doing work in a commercial zone. Guy was irrate, so I got there at 6:30 next week just because the guy was being so unreasonable and came out screaming at me, never saw him again.

10. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Heres a good one about starting early. I think it was summer of 98 super hot days up near 100 and above for like a month or more.started mowing this lawn at 6 am within 10 minutes the guy across the street walked over and was so pissed he said what the #@%$ are you doing and i said mowing grass he said dont you think its a little early to do that and i said not for what i have to do before it gets to hot then he calmed down a little and said why dont you come back a little later to finish. I told him it had to be done now that i dont backtrack on my routes so he looked at me and said if this was my property you would never be back and i said but its not your property and started the mower and finished. to this day the guy wont even look at me..