What time does everyone start cutting Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 3JLawnScapes, Jun 4, 2007.

1. 3JLawnScapes

3JLawnScapes LawnSite Member

We start doing commercial at around 7 to 7:30, depending on the morning maintenance, Residential around 8. Last week we where mowing the outside of a subdivision, I had my iPOD going just rolling along. And a lady comes up to me yelling. She’s all pissing and moaning about it not even being 8 o'clock yet, it was 7:57 I looked at my watch. She said something about getting up all week long at 4:30 (boo hoo).I told her well this is my day off too. (It was Saturday) A while back before this happened I checked to see when the earliest I could mow was, city code says 8 o clock so I start around there give or take 10 mins ,depending on drive time. So basically, I told this lady to go back to her house and deal with it, we would be out of there soon enough. She then asked who I worked for, "myself" I said. She then turned around and stormed off. Not quite sure if she went back to sleep or not... I have been thinking about starting my ztr up in front of her house every sat. At 8 am sharp....j/k but anyways just wanted to see if I was out of line by starting at 8 am.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you are fine starting at 8:00am on Saturday, if your are within the city ordinence. if I work on Saturday, i start at 8:00am for residentials. Don't you just love it when they ask you who you work for, I love the look on their face when you tell them that you are the owner.

3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Well...I usually try to Start at 9, but 9:30 is more realistic.

My one commercial, (no other resi's around), I start as early as 6.

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I do a church that I start on before the sun comes up... about 5:30 AM. Other than that, I don't engage the blades until 8:00 AM.

5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

After 8 week days, 10 on weekends.

6. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

We start at 6 but sometimes the mower isnt actually running till 630. I have and still do start CUTTING at 530 am on Wednesday mornings. Its a Courthouse and thats the best time it fits in without cars there or near by. Saturdays are no different 6 am.

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

We start mowing at 8:00 am or sometimes at 7:30, depending on the possibilty of rain. I hate messing up the schedule.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I start at 9am.... grass isnt usually too wet by then:)

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The crews are in the shop loading by 0700 - out the door nlt 0715 - first job site nlt 0745 - Monday through Friday.
    Saturday starts at 0730 - out the door by 0745 - first site nlt 0815.

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I don't turn on the blades til 8am. weekends, closer to 9am.