1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What time for turn on???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by John Gamba, Jul 31, 2005.

1. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I got a question

In Connecticut what time is best fir the sprinklers to go on. Also how long should they run.

Thanks John
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The best time for the sprinklers to come on is when you aren't taking a shower. :p
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I usually set the sprinklers to come on at around 4 am unless the customer is a real early riser, then I set it for 3 am.

This means the system is usually done by the time the person is showering, and you don't run a risk of disease on the grass by watering late in the day.
  4. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Has anyone actually seen evidence of this "diseased grass" due to late-evening or night-time waterings?

I ask only because one of my neighbors has been watering his yard for 2.5 years at night, and his yard looks fine. And last time I checked, it rains at night as well as in the daytime, and the grass has survived thousands of years like this. Not to mention that in my part of the country, there is a lot of dew on the grass in the mornings.

So not to stir up controversy, but I have heard this advice for years, yet have seen no evidence of said damage, and I wonder where it comes from.

5. Wet_Boots

I believe you have to have conditions amenable for the growth of lawn fungus, which I've seen, before the watering time would be a factor. That there is some reason behind the recommendation is obvious if you look at agricultural watering advice, which is for around 9 AM, so the dew (nourishment for fungus spores) gets washed off the plants.
  6. John Gamba

from ct

This is for my mother inlaw. she has gotten three different times from three different people. It looks like her lawn has had a hard time this year with all the humid weather.

So yesterday i set it at 9ooam. it was set at 400am. I like to see the excess water burn off with the sun.

Thank you all :cool2:

Now how long should the sprinklers stay on?????

7. sps2868

sps2868 LawnSite Member
    from ATL, GA

Each zone has differing factors such as does it have shrubs, annuals, what type of grass, sprays rotors, sun, shade, clay, loam, sandy soil, etc....

There is no standard time nor is there a standard zone type. MOST of the old school contractors I deal with put a row ow rotors to cover the grass and the shrubs. But this is wrong and must be addressed. Otherwise you overwater the shrubs and underwater the lawn.

I guess what I am saying is there are tons of factors before you can make a statement of the length of time...
  8. John Gamba

from ct

Thats how we looked at it when i did it. There are no shrubs that get watered. its full sun, clay type soil.

9. Wet_Boots

It is the hot humid weather that seems to encourage fungus. Especially when it includes hazy overcast days. I usually schedule by counting backwards from the earliest household use of water in the morning, and knowing how long the entire watering cycle is, that gives me a starting time. Fungus usually isn't a problem. Underwatering is a problem in dryer summers, as homeowners don't realize that nature was contributing a lot of water in recent summers, and now that it isn't, they have to pick up the slack with additional watering. If you have no idea of how much water your sprinklers are putting down, you'd run the sprinklers for a while and measure what they apply.
  10. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

John glad to see your still here if you email me I can give you the recomended time for running rotors or sprays for turf grass and also an ET rate factor for a seasonal adjust during drought months. For some of the newer guys here I would recomend spending 65 bucks and getting the Irrigation Association's Turf Grass Manual. I still have not seen a correct answer to this question. And in all of our best defense John has not given us all the adequate information to answer this question. John I will give this answer to you if you give me your recomendation for best blades for your Exmark 60s for mulching leaves in the fall and cutting cool season grass in the spring......