What time of year are you busy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Jun 6, 2001.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I hear people up north talking about when the heat of summer comes and it slows down. Thats my best time of year. Most months are pretty consistant down here, but my best months are aug-sept, and maybe december just because of bonuses.
  2. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

In Iowa the busiest time is the last two weeks of April and the whole month of may and slows down mid june. July and most of Aug are pretty slow. Then toward the end of Aug and the whole month of Sept are very busy also if we have good moisture.
  3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing is best in April and May, when it isn't raining. January and Feb. are my busyst months. Thats when I try to figure out what I did wrong last year and how to keep form doing it again next year.
  4. script

script LawnSite Member

I stay pretty busy from April through September, but I'd have to say the busiest would be between June and August.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Russ, I like your comment.
    That's what Matt and I do too. January and February are the times we sit around and plan and hash things out. Should we get rid of any customers, what are we going to do differently, how can we be more efficient, etc.

As for our busiest time, I would have to say since we started mowing on April 10th or 11th, we haven't slacked or stopped once. Very busy right now. The grass is growing so much here, it is hard to get some of our side jobs completed. So April thru at least the end of June is probably our busiest times.

CLARKE LawnSite Member

Right now in the month of May and the first week of
    June we up hear in northen ILL we have 4inches on the
    low side and 6 inches of rain on the high side, So i
    would say right now up hear with all the rain we are real
    busy but its kinda on the kool side but were cranking
    along.oh by the way i got six rain gauges out there now.:blob3: :blob1:
  7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup it all has to do with the rain gauge. I have been double cutting everything for weeks with all of the rain we've had. I've had very little time for side jobs which are really piling up. I have tons of bushes to trim still, mulch to lay since people didn't read my letter I sent out in Feb. saying that I would only mulch in March, and tons of small stuff. Then yesterday as I was putting away my equipment 2 more inches of rain in no time. :eek: Well I'm not complaining or else we won't get another drop until October. But if you are listening Mother Nature can you lighten up just a bit?