What time of year did you first start?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Yardrunner, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Yardrunner

Yardrunner LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I am just wondering what time of the year did you first start your business. I am curios because it seems like I am starting a little late, you see I have been researching this field for a while now but I have just moved back to the Northeast from AZ after living there for two years so I'm a little late on the decision to start this biz. I am still in the process of getting my insurance and my business license, DBA, and a few odds and ends, I think it might be a bit late to get accounts for lets say spring clean up or the early season mowing. like I said I'm just curious and any advice would also be appreciated. Thanks again.

Mike

p.s. I am going to bombard you all with questions from here on out. Thanks.

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I am going into my second season this year. I started late last season (mid spring) ans ended up doing fairly well. If you started middle of summer I think that it would be a little difficult, but if you get all your ducks lined up and go full tilt (starting now) I think that you should be alright. If you are ready you will need to jump into the water.

3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year was our first year, I filed Articles of Organization with the state first part of January, from that point on I was actively working towards getting my company off the ground.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

When I started 9 years ago, I started in May, about two months after the beginning of the season. I put one ad in a local paper, and never did another bit of direct advertising. I picked up enough customers from the one ad to get some work, and within a couple of months was nearly fully occupied.

I have since learned that there is some movement in the customer base withint the first two months. In some situations, the customer has seen the contractor 5-8 times, and is dissatisfied and wants to move. Likewise, some contractors have been there a few times and don't want that customer, so they stop coming, hence the homeowner needs help. When getting started, being picky isn't part of the equation. At that time, I didn't know what constituted a picky customer, so didn't know enough to ask the right questions, look for the hints the customer was bad, etc.

As a side note, of the first six that answered the ad, four of them were still customers until two seasons ago, not only two are left (the others have died, or I dropped because of location).

Having the May through December experience set me up much better to prepare for the next season. I see many difficulties to go "full tilt" in a first season, with no experience. That is not to say it cannot be done, but I expect most of us changed some things, like equipment choices for example, after we got some experience behind us.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

No bad time. The street I live on has 27 homes on it and right now there are 6 for sale signs out.
    It is that way all over. People move, people get different jobs, people get sick of the old LCO. Many reasons for new customers. Just start and things will fall into place, (if you do it right).

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We officially started in November getting all the paperwork completed. Spent the winter figuring out how we would advertise, and purcharsed our business insurance in March. We didn't start the season half way thru, which I think was nice. We were out there with everyone else that spring trying to get accounts.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

started organizing in the winter, was ready for spring advertising....

good luck

8. Yardrunner

Yardrunner LawnSite Member

Hey all,

Thanks for the answers and advice. Well i have not heard back about my ins. yet. Just wondering what are some of the insurance companies you use for liabilty and such.

Mike

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I started in the middle of summer in 2004. I was asked by my moms hair dresser if I would cut her lawn a few times while her husband was away on a business trip. I did such a good job that her customers wanted to know who cut the lawn and she refered me. If it wouldn't have been for that, It would have been a slow start. I do remember that I only got 3 other customers from outside sources. Though, I was not advertising at the time because of lack of equipment!