What time to start in the AM?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Jul 31, 2006.

?

What time to start mowing in the AM?

1. Before 6:30AM

10.8%
  2. 6:30-7:00AM

11.8%
  3. 7:00AM-7:30AM

22.6%
  4. 7:30-8:00AM

21.5%
  5. After 8:00AM

33.3%
  1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

What time do you guys start mowing residentials in the morning? With the opressive heat recently (and for Tomorrow and Wednesday), I have found the best way to beat the heat is to start early in the AM. I'd like to start as early as possible, and have started at 7:30AM recently...too early, could start earlier?

Please vote and/or post!

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i have three that don't mind me starting as soon as it's light enough to see, i wish everyone was like that.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

My guys are rolling at 5:00 usually at first job by 5:30 at the latest. Do quiet stuff first, pruning, raking, checking lights etc. Equipment usually running by 6:00. They work 4-10's and are back in by3:30-3:45

We run like this from Mid April through Mid Oct. or al long as the light holds up, its light enough here to work at 5:00. After winter lawn over seeding we will go back to 5 day work week and keep with a sun up start until it gets cold usually about Thanksgiving. Then we start as late as we can and still get in 8-hr's before dark so its an 8:00-4:40 thing.

4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of areas now have noise restrictions during evening and early morning hours.

Around here it's dusk till 8 AM.

5. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

We have a noise ordnance here. We can only work from 8am till 8pm. I do slip out and do some commercials before 8am though.

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We meet at the shop at 8:00.Get to the first job between 8:15-8:30.

7. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

7:30? Hell, I'm already 3 hours into my workday by the time you get started!! Me personally I like to be up and out the door long before most people even consider waking up. Wake up at 3, hit the gym for an hour, shower and out the door. I get a few hours of cooler weather, I don't have to deal with the morning rush hour traffic, and generally speaking you get off earlier as well. I also enjoy being up when the sun rises... something magical and refreshing about it :dancing:

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I start at noon (work a night shift job). Grass is usually dry and cuts good as an added benifit.

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone ever told you that you look just like jack black? :laugh:

10. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

We usually do commercial starting about 6 ish, residential accounts about 730. If we end up cutting on saturdays, we start at 800. Worst case, if there is cutting to be finished on sundays, not until 10am. Other days quieter things like pruning, edging, etc. can be done early.