What time to start mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nemow, Jul 4, 2008.

1. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

I know town and city ordinaces will dictate when most people are able to start the mowers, trimmers and blowers in the morning. What time do you start? I mowed my parents lawn (where I keep my equipment) at 7:20 yesterday morning to get a jump on my day, while waiting for my workers to show. I backed into the yard at 1:00 yesterday afternoon to one of the neighbors stomping over to scold me. First things first. I'm 27 years old and dont take scolding from anyone very well. I keep the trailer loaded at night so I dont have to start everything up at 6 am with neighbors in mind. The woman next door says, "Are you going to mow your lawn every Thursday morning at 7:20?...Because thats to early." Then turns to walk away. I was nice and told her no, I am just trying to get an early start because of the holiday and she never turned around just stomped back in her house. The part that pisses me off is we start at 6:30 most days on the lawns by 7 and no other neighbors complain (ok one once two years ago becuase of the blowers on a fall cleanup at 7am and my customer told me not to worry about it becuase they were a quiet older couple for 364 days out of the year). My town sound ordinance is 6:30. Im conciderate to my neighbors but I really wanted to act like the 7 year old she was depicting me as and kick her right in the shins yesterday. I feel better now. Happy Fourth :usflag:

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh: don't we all have days like that now and then?

3. cej93

cej93 LawnSite Member

Happy Fourth to you as well. Next Thursday start at 0730 instead of 0720 maybe that will make it all better for her. Tell her to quit wasting the day away sleeping you are just trying to help her be more productive ;). J/K. :usflag:

4. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

She has children but they are not infants. Anyone I have ever talked to with children in the 2-5 year range are up early when the kids are up not when the landscaper starts mowing. Cej93 I was thinking 6:30 and putting my parents on a twice a week schedule.

5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell her that if the noise ordinance says you can work, than you'll work and there aint a thing she can do about it.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Our noise ordinance is 8:00am around here. You guys that can start earlier are lucky. Even on the Landscaping side, I don't start before 8. I went to one house at 6:30 one morning to have a customer outside in the backyard in underware, no bra, and a see through shirt. (she wasn't the ugliest or prettiest, but who is in the morning? ). She just smiled, put out her smoke, and went back inside.

Needless to say, I decided not to go to houses earlier than 8 after that.

7. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

Why limit yourself to twice a week? Don't your parents have any tree work that requires chainsaws and chippers? Or better yet, a bobcat with a backup beeper. Whatever you do, do not leave it parked in reverse with the key on. J/K :laugh:

Have a happy and safe Independence Day. :usflag:

Dan

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think it is a regional and economic thing. Regionally here in the S/W it is so hot so early that many people are up early. They walk they bike/jog go to the grocery. H/D is open at 5 am here, grocery stores are open 24 hrs, its nothing to see a line in the grocery at 11:00 at night or 6:00 in the morning. It would just be cruel to make someone work the bulk of their day when it is over 105-110. Most wholesale nurseries are closed by 3:00 Right now it is 8:45 and 90 degrees.

On the economic side my clients (all wealthy) have big homes, double pane windows, well insulated homes. You would have to be under their window to get much noise into the house. I also find most wealthy people are early risers so they are up and around anyway. The really smart ones are out of town this time of year.

Lastly that is a question on my questionnaire before I start a home. How early can we start equipment at your home? How early can we do quiet work at your home? Then you just adjust your schedule to make it work. In the winter we start as late as possible to avoid traffic and stay warm because we are cold wimps.

9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly! Some people

10. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i usually like to start about 0800 because of dew if its not so bad maybe 0730