"What time will you be here" rant

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j-ville native, Mar 27, 2012.

1. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure all of us have heard the question "what time will you be here" when a customer wants to know the exact time you'll be there to mow their lawn. Why they have to know the exact time is a mystery to me. It's not like they do anything when you come... they probably won't even come out of the house. Sometimes I'll give them an exact time if that's what they're looking for and sometimes I'll give myself a 2 hour window. The problem I have is that committing to a certain time means that you have to be there at that time or else you become more unreliable. Committing to a time that I'll do a lawn makes me reschedule all my other lawns around that one lawn and leaves no flexibility in my schedule. I like to have some flexibility in case I get asked to do extra stuff like hedge trimming or a neighbor of a customer asks me to do their yard or something. I had a new lawn to do today and the customer of course asked me what time I'll be there. I answered "what time is good with you?" and the customer answered "after 11 is good." So I was thinking that sounds good to me so I don't have to come at an exact time. So as I am heading to the lawn at about 11:30, which to my understanding is after 11, I get a call from the impatient customer wondering if I'm still coming. Now that's not so bad, but man I'm getting sick of that question

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

She wants to make sure that you turn the blades on your mower,just not drive around and not cut anything!:)

3. MCM1

MCM1 LawnSite Member

I tell them the same thing Michelangelo told them when he painted the 16th chapel. I start when I get there and I'll finish when i'm done.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

This aint WNY. We're already back to weekly cuts for the most part. I may give a specific day for special circumstances but not a time. :usflag:

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

My typical answer..."Jeez, I have no idea. Why do you ask?"

6. j-ville native

That's pretty hilarious

7. j-ville native

I normally don't even tell them what day if they're long time customers. Long time customers are the best... they never ask and most never even call you and it's just accepted that you'll be there to do your thing when you need to do it. It's the new customers that always ask what time

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Hey, I start cutting tomorrow!

9. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone knows that I shall show up on any day of the week. PERIOD.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I always give a day, never a time though.

it's not that hard to narrow down a day. I mean you have to make a route and for me, once that mowing route is made for the season I don't stray from it.