What times of the season do you guys raise and lower your cutting height?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Threxx, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

I mean I understand some cirumstances require unique schedules, but in general, on average, what cutting height do you use for most of your customers starting in the spring?

Around here we have mostly bermuda, hybrid bermuda, and zoysia. I see a lot of people scalping the first cut in the spring, and then from there move to a particular height, raise it up a set or two during the hot summer months to keep things from drying up... but then where people seem to vary is some people step the cut height back down in the fall - and some people seem to leave it at its highest point from the heat of summer all the way into dormancy, and don't cut it back down until the first cut of the spring.

What do you guys do on average?:)
  2. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut on 6" all the time if the customers will let me.. some want it done on 5.. but the higher you cut the grass, the sooner it will look shaggy, so you can mow it again :)
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

3 - 4" in the Spring and Summer, then down to 2.5 - 3" in the Fall right before the leaves start dropping.
  4. Josh.S

I would kill the grass around here if i mowed it at 3", especially in the fall... actually I don't even think I can mow that low with the rollers unless I adjust them or something..
  5. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

6"???? That's crazy. Are you just kidding around or is that more of the norm in your area? I mean I would feel like I couldn't even walk on a lawn that tall without tearing up the grass.

I don't even think my mower will go higher than 4.5" or maybe 5"
  6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We scalp our Bermuda and Zoysia lawn in the early spring. After that we cut on 2.5 to 3 during the rest of the year.
  7. Josh.S

Does the dixie choppers deck adjustment go by inches???? I normally cut mine on a level 5 even for the shorter lawns, if you scalp the grass around here, you will kill its growth, especially in fall...

Around here I would say even normal LCO around here cut around 5"-6", atleast that is if my deck adjustment goes by inches..
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have been giving customers the variety mowing package lately. Some of it is 3.25" on some is 5" and some not cut at all. I think this makes my work stand out and will assure more customers in the future. Also the blades that dont get cut at all can seed by next week and make the lawn even thicker.

9. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

There is no way you are cutting at 6". Is it up to your knees before you mow each week? I have trouble talking people into letting me cut at 3", they think that is too tall. 2.75" is as low as I go and I cant imagine cutting res lawns at anything over 3.5".

Plus Dixies cutting height is 1"-5", I just looked that up. So they have cutting "levels" instead of cutting height in inches? Thats odd.
  10. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: