What tips do you like for boom spraying Quicksilver ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bluelude1, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Bluelude1

Bluelude1 LawnSite Member

I just bought a FIMCO 7 Point Boom sprayer to go with a 60gal tank in the back of my Gator, and was wondering which type of tips you guys prefer if I wanted to use the system to spray quicksilver and a 3 way? I have heard a lot of talk about TeeJet Tips, but they offer quite a few so i am not quite sure which would be best.

BTW the boom is 140" w/ 7 nozzles

Thanks

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The first thing you will want to do is update the nozzle body with a top diaphram which will keep the boom from dripping. You will probably have to order the correct hangers for them also.

Then I would highly recommend using an AI nozzle. This is a flat fan nozzle that reduces drift. I would also go with the 110 degree tip and go on 20" spacings which will give you some overlap which will help in uneven ground and will reduce skips.

You can go with any tip, but I run either the yellow or green. When calibrated at my correct rpm's this is between 8-12 gallons/ac. If you are running the Quick Silver...I would probably run a little higher gallons then just running three way alone.

I have found Agrimart in KY to be one of the cheapest places to buy sprayer parts. They are much cheaper then most! With the nozzle body, tip and hanger...you should be able to update for around $13/tip.

I would also recommend running a roller pump. This wull allow you to run a higher PSI.

These tips are different then most. You will want to run higher pressure. I always run 55-60 psi and even up to 80 at times. They are designed for higher psi to get good coverage but you don't have to worry as much about drift.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you need any additional info.

3. Bluelude1

Bluelude1 LawnSite Member

Do most people you dripless nozzle bodies or is that just more of a luxury item for people that spray all of the time?

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

To me it isn't a luxury...it is a necessity.

Also, I am sure you will probably have to buy new bodies and caps if you are going to run AI tips. They lock in and are fool proof.

If you are just a homeowner, you can probably get buy without the AI tips, but if you are doing this for a living, then this is probably a VERY good idea!

Doesn't take but one small drift and you will have the whole boom paid for.