what to add to roundup for fast kill of bed weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 21, 2010.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

What are you guys adding to your backpack sprayers to speed up the kill of weeds in beds, driveway cracks, etc? Diquat + Gly was suggested by my dealer. Never heard of Diquat but will be checking in. Do you remember the rate and cost?

2. grassmasterswilson

from nc

so it appears that diquat is the product that is added to gly in pre mixed solutions like razorburn and quick pro. anyone used these products? is it cheaper to by razorburn or gly and reward and mix your own?

3. grassmasterswilson

from nc

JB1 - yeah I just found that in my chemical manual. Seems just what i'm looking for. any estimate on cost per gallon?

4. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

385101 Scythe Contact Herbicide/Weed Killer, 1 gal (8.5#) $76.90
    385121 Scythe Contact Herbicide/Weed Killer, 1 gal, 4/cs (40#) $262.00
    385131 Scythe Contact Herbicide/Weed Killer, 2.5 gal (23#) $174.90
    385141 Scythe Contact Herbicide/Weed Killer, 2.5 gal, 2/cs (46#) $304.00

5. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Octane, it works great!

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

used Quick pro for years nice offered, works super great, but for beds it is not a good idea i found the general dicline of the plants from repeated use of the diquat in it. this has been the obvservation of many i have heard. just my words of caution.

7. Snapper12

Snapper12 LawnSite Senior Member
    from CE MO

Round up quick pro is great is nobody is going to track through the area for 48 - 72 hrs.

8. jspray

jspray LawnSite Member

MSMA works great adding much activity to nutgrass in beds.

9. BShaffer

BShaffer LawnSite Member

Roundup with a surfactant is you best bet. Reward which is Diquat will give you a really quick kill but if you mix it with roundup you defeat the purpose of the roundup. The roundup must be translocated to roots and stolons. if you burn the plant down the plant will wilt before the roundup is translocated. The surfactant helps break the surface tension in the leaf tissue and lets the chemical get into the plant better. Razorburn is roundup and reward, but becareful with using higher rates because you defeat the purpose. Try adding a surfactant and a pre-emergent and this will give you better long term results. Be cautious of the "Quick Kills"