What to apply for a monthly app.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by affprop, Apr 15, 2003.

1. affprop

affprop LawnSite Member

I have a client that was bitchin about there lawn last year said it wasnt green enough, thick enough, yada yada! In your guys minds what do you think would be a good product to put on monthly. It is an irrigated lawn, about 10,000 sq ft maybe alittle bit bigger. I was applying Lescoe three times a year but if hes going to yap then I want him to see me doing somthing every month. And I am also thinking of renovating lawn then overseed. I am definetly going to overseed, I just dont know about withe the renovater. Thanks.

2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco is good. I would recommend that you educate the customer first though. Explain that his lawn-if its ie. Bluegrass- needs 4 lbs of N per 10k per year and thats all. too much will kill or overstress the lawn. If you have to be there every month, then cut back your rates to spread it out over more months.

3. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

SOMETIMES IT IS NECESSARY TO FIND OUT WHAT'S GOING ON
    UNDERGROUND BEFORE DECIDING WHAT TO DO ABOVE GROUND.

TAKE A SOIL TEST ( ABOUT $12 AT LESCO ) TO FIND OUT IF THERE
    ARE DEFICIENCIES OF SOME FORM BELOW THE SURFACE. IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH THE SOIL, YOU HAVE INSTANT CREDIBILITY WITH YOUR CUSTOMER AND THEN YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE A PROGRAM FOR THEM.

IF NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH TEST RESULTS CONSULT EXTENSION AGENCY OR LESCO REP FOR ADVICE. OR IF THERE ARE NO SUBSTANTIAL PROBLEMS WITH THE SOIL, BUMP UP YOUR PROGRAM TO 4 OR 5 APPLICATIONS. WITH IRRIGATION YOU CAN
    APPLY IRON A COUPLE TIMES A YEAR TO REALLY POP THE GREEN COLOR TOO! IRON IS AVAILABLE IN BOTH GRANULAR OR LIQUID FORMS.

"WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE DIRECTIONS"

4. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

If the customer has an irrigation system make sure it set correctly for the right amount of moisture. Too much and too little is not good. Why only 3 apps with Lesco? I use lesco and do 5-6 apps per year depending on the account. Aerate and overseed and you will get a thicker lawn with the irrigation system. As stated above, most importantly check whats underneath first. After you have established soil content go through the steps above and I guarantee the customer will be impressed. You can also do an app of liquid iron for instant results for a very green lawn.

5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Can you direct me to iron in a gran. form??? Or are you talking about a premixed fert. which already contains iron???

Thanks

6. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

IRON PLUS GRANULAR-

CONTAINS IRON, SULFUR AND I BELIEVE SOME OTHER MICRONUTIENTS FROM LESCO. A LITTLE PRICY, BUT IT WILL
    TURN THE GRASS DARK, DARK GREEN. 50 LB. DOES BETWEEN
    8 AND 12,00O SQ.FT.

PARTICLES ARE CLOSE IN SIZE TO STANDARD FERTILIZER.

7. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I have used the granular Iron Plus from Lesco with good results. it has a fairly extensive list of micro nutients as well. Much more that the liquid irons I have seen. It is a good option if you don't want to set the spray rig up. Just remember to blow off those hard surfaces (like you do with any granular app.).

I don't know what the ph is like in your part of the country but some folks here put out lime as one of thier standard applications.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco 24-5-11 + Iron (has 3%). Right now, at this time of year, blast it. Put about 1 1/2 times the recommended rate, and hit it again in about 4 to six weeks. You'll have your jump start, then. Right now, the turf will really use this fert., as it is develpoing root system and the Potassium will certainly help. The beauty of this is that it's 50% scu, so you have that much slow release dosage too. All to often, I see so many companies using something like 25-0-12 this time of year, and it's all quick releases. You get the zap effect of instant green, but not only is it gone quickly, (a couple of weeks), but this is not the best use of energy that this turf could have spent.

9. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

If your going to test, don't over look the water supply.