What to as next mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DoetschOutdoor, Jun 7, 2006.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Guys, my current setup is a 36" Ferris Hydrocut and I have about 35 yards per week. I need to move up to somthing that I can ride behind and found a 48" Scag belt drive with low hours for $1700. Im a college student and do my yards on my days off and weekends. Is it really worth it to spend the extra on the hydro? Im getting tired of walking and really can not spend the money on the hydro right now. Is a scag belt drive going to wear me out badly (mainly hand exhaustion ive been reading about) if im looking to do 15 yards a day? Also, how much of a pain is the scag belt drive in reverse? I do have some smaller properties but most will be cut by the Ferris. Sorry for the book here
  2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the hydro. less wear and tear on the machine and you.
    good luck!
  3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Looking at just deck size by itself:

36" x 5 mph ground speed / 125 = 1.44 acres per hour

48" x 5 mph ground speed / 125 = 1.92 acres per hour

I think Exmark uses 124 and Toro 125 in their productivity formulas, but their difference is not too significant.

But I read somewhere that once considerable obstacles enter the picture, hydro has about a 30% efficiency factor advantage over belt. So depending on the worksites (lawns) a 36 hydro could be a wash with a 48 belt.

On gate day using a 32 belt with pistols, my wrists know it the next day.

Hope this helps your decision.
  4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Thanks guys. I just got an email back from a guy concerning a 48" Ferris Hydro and this is what Im going to go with. Ive got some hardware in the left wrist already so hearing about more wrist problems is not somthing that I really can get into. MOst people say that after going from belt to hyrdo they would never go back so I guess it really wouldnt make sense for me to go from a hydro to a belt. And plus now I can work on keeping the machines all Ferris

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Hydro Hydro HYDRO!!!!!

So much faster.
    Now I am not to sure if that will help the wrist problem. Still the same system of operation--
    Look into (I think) Hustler, they have a different system and Exmark has the ECS Which is a great step up from pistol grip
  6. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro is much better than gear! Also I have the wright velke and and the controls are much better than the pistol grips. Your hands and wrists don't hurt and I think faster operation.
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is worth the exrta for the hydro. Look at the hustler with H-bar controls. With the right sulky they are un beatable . Very manuverable and easy to use. If you can still find a hustler Super wB That would be the way to go.