What to bid on a 13 acre job????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

A sportsmans club called today wanting a yearly bid on mowing their park area, contract is April 1 thru Sept 30... All wide open mowing, mowed as needed and no trimming as they have a kid who does that...

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

$260-325 depending on terrain, roughness, etc.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Jon - I am in SE. Iowa, and we mow the same dates - and on a wide open deal around here, with no trimming it seems you had better bid $14.90 per acre, or you will not get it - I would assume you are going to mow every 7 days, until the drought hits in August.

I have a 9 1/2 footer (8 acres per hr) = 1 5/8 hrs @ $14.90 = $193.70 div by 1 5/8 hrs = $119.20 per hr. with a $15,000 machine - solo - no Workmans Comp - No hassle[​IMG]

wide deck-snow-1.jpg

4. Damn that's 1/3 of your apt complex......Smart biz man already, I can drop off a chair for you to wait in the unemployment line.

What are we bidding here, mow when they call or what?

5. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

They want it mowed once a week until it gets hot.. From 4/1 to 9/30 there are about 26 weeks, I am betting I can get away with mowing it 20 times because of dry weather and I doubt I will mowing anything until at least the 3rd week in April as we have 4 inches of snow on the ground right now...

I was thinking of bidding $9K, is that in the ballpark????

BTW- I will be mowing this with a 52 " Tiger Cub and a 52" Grasshopper, I hate to mow a place this large with little mowers, but I only have 6 yards lined up for this year so far, so I thought this would be a way to bring in some cash...

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

14.90 acre thats about 50% lower that a 10 year kid would charge. do i see someone going out of biss in no time charging that low od price.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

HMM LGF, I swear he said no trimming just mowing all wide open. Wait, he did say that! :blob4:
    Last time I looked my apt's were not all wide open and had alot of trimming. Although a good bit is wide open, maybe around 1/2 of it all.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Wow - Go for it - hope you get it. That is about $35 per acre - no trimming no nothing- just mow?

9. That's not to bad at all, about $50 a man hour. Sure a whole lot better than BHB's high price of $6500. You will be able to buy a whole lot more Popsicle's than BHB bidding like that.

BHB who cares, we are out to make money. Not popsicle pocket change. We have ourselves to support.

10. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

Damn that is a hideous creation....

Kids stop bickering and grow up....

Oh but wait that was just my .02