What To Buy Exmark Or Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JJOHN22042, Aug 14, 2001.

?

SCAG OR EXMARK

1. SCAG FIXED DECK 48' 17HP

17 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. EXMARK METRO 48'; 17HP

40 vote(s)
    70.2%
  1. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

Stuck Between the Exmark and the Scag both seem Great but how long will the Spindles last on the Exmark. What do you guys think I should go with.

EXMARK 48" METRO 17HP

SCAG 48" FIXED DECK 17HP:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont own either, but I do know I would get the Exmark by far. Might save money with Scag up front, but then it's all down hill from there. Exmark much better all the way around!

3. JJOHN22042

from MA

The Scag is More Money than the Exmark here.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Dang! That's what I call a 'double-whammy'!!! :eek:

Go Exmark! I'm glad I did. :D

5. Before I vote I have a few questions

1: can you get a Hydro instead of a fixed deck?

2: A 48" Exmark Turf Tracer is only going to be a little more why didn't you look at them?

3:have you read the threads on SCAG?

4:If you have the mowing to buy a mower why this time of year?

Let's just think about the 2 choices and see were we can go from there

LGF:blob1:

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get that Scag i demoed the same machine only it had the floating deck,i wasn't happy at all with this new advantage deck its a littel better but is still clumps real bad,plus my demo had less than 100hrs and it broke down on me the two days i demoed it .Personally i am a Snapper man when it comes to the walkbehinds,so far they are the best ive ever used i still use one thats on its nineth yr,everyday. Just don't buy the Scag. Exmark is twice the machine. Marks Mowing Service

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

As I stated in your other similar post: <b> eXmark</b>

If you have read the threads on here about the two you would have found alot of negative comments on SCAG.

We own all eXmark mowers. (except our 21s)

8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

The 48 Lesco is a good alternative to both.

9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I've used both, and I never could understand why Scag was always so much more expensive in my area.

I think a lot of people bought them because of the name and expensive tag it has. Big $$ doesn't always mean big performance. The Scag was noisy, and very rigid, not a smooth cut from the controls. Wasn't happy with it at all, and most people that just jump into the machine don't enjoy running it either, but there are some that are still happy they have "a scag".

I always had good luck with my eX-Mark's. I started my business with a used 1988 48" belt drive, and with very minor maintenance and repairs (all engine work) the machine is helping my 17 year old cousin make some good cash for college.

Good Luck with your ExMark!! ;)

10. JJOHN22042

from MA

Looked at the Lesco but its Poor for Service around here and also not many people carry parts for the Lesco.