What to buy for a new spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tsh1773, Sep 10, 2006.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using the Scotts Speedygreen 3000 since I became licensed and I think it's time to upgrade. I have been looking at Lesco 80lb spreader but is it really worth $350? What's the big advantage of the Lesco spreader vs the ones at Home Depot/Lowes? I have heard that it throws further but is that all? Just curious.

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

it has a very even broadcast. its can withstand the 80lbs, and when filled its still very manuverable. very durable, i have dropped it quite a few times and its still kicking... IMO very worth the $$

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Holy cats man, looking??? you looked at a Lesco spreader and don't SEE a huge difference between IT and your scotts "speedy green"...

Stainless frame
    LARGE hopper that can hold what it says it will hold
    Easy to push- large pneumatic tires
    -long handle
    -oscillating agitator, instead of one that goes rund and round
    Grease fittings on shafts
    PROVEN thousands of times over to work all day
    Easy to repair IF there is a breakdown
    Will last a professional a LONG time, even with abuse
    Even spread pattern
    Calibration gagues that measure the hole openings precisely
    Options like the rain cap, 3 hole shut off and border guard for edges

Well, I'd go on, but I'm sure you get the point...

4. tsh1773

Yes, I can see the difference but don't know if it's a $320 difference. What does it take to not get a smart ass answer on here?
    :hammerhead:

5. Raven386

from CT

well figure it this way... those scotts spreaders lets just say cost 50 $$ and using them a lot every year. your going to be replacing it every year. or you can spend 350 $ one time, and have a spreader to last you forever. i do not regret buying it... filling it once for like 4 lawns... it broadcast so evenly its amazing. the hopper cover is great too... ive left it on the truck in pouring rain and never has it leaked or anything. its far superior to anything you can buy at homedepot or lowes... thats just my .02

6. tsh1773

Thanks Raven and I appreciate your answer.

7. Raven386

from CT

they also make a roto/drop spreader. or its a bit more money but eliminates having 2 spreaders. never used it, just remember it when i went to go buy mine. i think they now all come with the deflector shield, mine does not have it. if its adjustable, like use it when you go by beds but when your in the lawn you can turn it off.i dont know. but if it does im going to be buying it.. it sucks going by beds and walls etc...

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Lesco makes the best spreader out there, period. They last forever. I used to wear out tire trwead on mine.

9. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the Earthway 2170 spreader off of Ebay for $110 brand new and shipped. Good overal spreader..............

10. tsh1773

I bought the Lesco Drop/Roto Spreader this morning. We'll see how it goes.