What to buy - Scag Tiger Cat or Hustler X-One

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rockysquirrel, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Rockysquirrel

Rockysquirrel LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

I am about to purchase either a new 61" Scag Tiger Cat with the 27hp Kohler and the suspension seat or the 60" Hustler X-One with the 27hp Kohler. The price of both machines are within a few hundred dollars of each other and both are available from the same dealer.

Initially I was set on the Tiger Cat because of it's deck design and cut quality but after looking at the new VX4 deck design on the new X-One, it is up for consideration.

There are some nice touches to the X-One. For example the controls are on the non-edging side, there are larger fuel tanks with site lines, automatic parking brakes, a rotated engine for easier fluid changes and a longer warranty.

The Tiger Cat has the suspension seat, a narrower width on the real wheels to allow for a greater deck overhang when cutting around beds, more anti-scalp wheels, a shorter frame, and it is also lighter.

I would appreciate any an all feedback on which one to buy and why.

Thanks.

2. kirkmbrown2001

kirkmbrown2001 LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler is the way to go! I have a hustler and I am not disappointed. You definetly want to pick the one that is better buillt with the better warranty and the winner is Hustler! You won't be disappointed!

3. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

I was at the Scag dealer yesterday. He told me the Tiger Cat was a renamed Tiger Cub. So it has been around a while. I used one for two weeks this spring. It was a good mower. I would say my second favorite mower behind my Hustler Mini Z. I think the X one would get my vote. Look at the new Hustler deck and the Scag deck. They are almost carbon copies of each other, so if the decks are the same I would buy the faster X one.

4. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

How is it better built? Tiger cat equals proven design (basically 10yrs compared to the xone 1yr), scags cut is wonderfull, people say the xv4 or whatever they call it cuts as good as a scag. Sounds like scag was the benchmark there and wasn't beat. I would pick the proven machine.

How many things designed 10yrs ago are still contending with the competitors latest and greatest.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a 25hp TC 61" been a good mower. I used it more this spring due to wet conditions than my TT. Just didn't rut as bad. I only gave 6700 for mine. And almost bought another with 125hrs for 4100. Really good mowers for the money.

6. kirkmbrown2001

kirkmbrown2001 LawnSite Senior Member

Your right, maybe that specific model was designed 10 years ago compared to the 1 year of the x-one. But in overall company inovation and experience, Hustler wins hands-down. Scag was founded in 1983 compared to Hustler, who produced the industry first Zero-turn mower in 1964! That's a 19 year difference. Hustler invented the zero-turn technology that everyone else copied. If you look at their timeline, I see a lot of "firsts" in it.

I will admit that I have never driven a scag and I am not saying it is a bad machine. From my experience with Hustler and their corporate customer service, they are superior in my book. Just giving my opinion and that is after all what Rockysquirrel is looking for! :)

7. elitefox

elitefox LawnSite Member

+1 good points djagusch

There is a reason SCAG's motto is "simply the best" just use one. I PROMISE you'll never buy another machine or look at lawncare the same. You will have less fatigue cause scag really spent the time in engineering their machines. Not to mention you'll never see a day of down time. Demo both machines, you'll walk away orange and proud

8. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

[SQUOTE=kirkmbrown2001;4052146]Your right, maybe that specific model was designed 10 years ago compared to the 1 year of the x-one. But in overall company inovation and experience, Hustler wins hands-down. Scag was founded in 1983 compared to Hustler, who produced the industry first Zero-turn mower in 1964! That's a 19 year difference. Hustler invented the zero-turn technology that everyone else copied. If you look at their timeline, I see a lot of "firsts" in it.

I will admit that I have never driven a scag and I am not saying it is a bad machine. From my experience with Hustler and their corporate customer service, they are superior in my book. Just giving my opinion and that is after all what Rockysquirrel is looking for! :)[/QUOTE]

I would say scags sales to commerical end users the last 30yrs would be higher but don't have numbers to back it.

Dane Scag started a great company (and others) and metalcraft took the reigns. Since 1995 they have used the same spindle assemble as today without much issues. Other mfg's change every couple years. Their line up of belt drive w/b goes way back in design and still sells well today. The turf tiger is from 1998, tiger cub/cat since 2001. I can't think of any mfg that has 90's designs that still compete to the newest of today. There cut is great.

Oh by the way I owned a super z for a yr and sold it as I felt it was a throw away mower, get 4 yrs out of it and its junk. Bought a trimstar the same year and had a frame replaced due to welds cracking making the mower 2 pcs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. johnroscoe

johnroscoe LawnSite Member

We've got a Scag TC with a 52" deck in our fleet going on its 6th year, and it's the best ZTR I've ever seen. Solid as a rock, easy to maintain, great cut quality. I wouldn't trade that 6 year old machine other manufacturer's new machine, it's that good. When it dies, we'll replace it with the same thing.

10. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

come on look up the right info. Scag has not been producing the same mower with no design changes. Scag produces a good mower but stick to the facts. Every company trys to improve the deck design from year to year including scag. Test the mowers out if you can, see what mower you prefer. I am guessing dealer support will be the same.

By the way yes I am a Hustler dealer, but I do not in any way work for Hustler, and as I am not a scag dealer I will not make any money on the sell of your mower. I am shocked that the scag is that close we are about a $1000 lower on the xone then the local scag dealer.