What to buy?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by bcayes, Apr 24, 2005.

1. bcayes

bcayes LawnSite Member

Well, the old lawn tractor has been sold and now I need to make up my mind on which Hustler. I have a 3/4(.75) acre lot with a fair amount of flower beds. I've agonized over whether to buy a Mini-Z or a Fastrak, and more importantly, whether to get the 44' or 52' deck. The reason I say more importantly, either the MIni-Z or Fastrak will be more than enough mower. Just want some good comparison advice.

But the decision on 44' or 52' leaves me perplexed. I have a fair amount of flower beds/ trees to cut around and am worried about overhang. Also, the lawn is not smooth over the septic field and I worry about scalping the lawn with the 52'.

Any advice? Has anyone out there used the 44' to cut around flower beds? Can you get close enough to the edge? Do you have to go back with a trimmer to finish the job?

Thanks for the help/advice.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You will find the 52" to be a very good choice.
    There are not to many issues with scalping.
    The added trim side on the 52" is well worth it if you have any trimming your wanting done.

Pj

3. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I have a lot of curved landscaped beds. The 52" has ample overhang to make trimming easy. The 44" didn't have any overhang. You would be driving over the landscape trying to cut it. That sure would defeat the purpose!

4. smokeb4fire374

smokeb4fire374 LawnSite Member
    from va

I have a hustler 52'' mini z and it works perfect with cutting around flower beds and such, also its not too heavy for wet mushy yards and i havent had aproblem scalping anyones yard that has a septic tank.