1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to buy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Budget, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Going to buy a real lawn machine and get rid of the John Deere, I wanted to know what you guys think is better Exmark, or a Scag. I started out doing friends lawns and have recieved a some calls from others with a few acers.
    Or any other option, i will spend the money just want the right machine. This is part time for me right now.

Thanks in advance.
  2. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Your current John Deere must be a home owner's edition. In my opinion John Deere makes some of the best commercial mowing equipment on the market. Go down to your local JD dealer and check out the 717A Z-Trak. It has a 48" 7-Iron deck and a 19hp Kaw. engine and it is a sweet little machine. If you want a larger machine take a look at the 757 Z-Trak. You can get those with a 54" or 60" 7-Iron deck and it comes equipped with a 25hp Kaw. engine. If your looking for a walkbehind you can choose from the 7H17 (48" 17hp) or the 7H19 (54" 19hp). Don't eliminate JD from your choice's just because you have a cheapo right now, they are truly GREAT machines.
  3. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

the JD isn't a bad idea. Niether is the Scag tiger cub, or the exmark Lazer Z AS. Lazer Z HPs are way to much $$ for a part timer. You get more bang for your buck with the AS. Im also looking at Walker Mowers (www.walkermowers.com), but they get pricy.
  4. Budget

from Pa.

K&L Landscaping,

I was at the dealer and they are now starting to carry the Yazoo Kees, and they said they would give me a deal on my lawn tractor. So i might thats why i asking you guys.

5. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

If you choose a scag, Ive got one for you! Check out this thread!

Mower for sale.
  6. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I can't testify about the quality or any other aspect of Yazoo/Kees equipment because I have never used one. The thing with JD is the service and parts availability. I had a hydro failure on a 777 last year and the part was at the dealer the next day and I had mower back within 24 hours of the failure. I'm not sure most other companies could have come through like that. That should be strongly considered in your buying decision.
  7. Budget

from Pa.

K&L Landscaping,

Thanks for the info and i will check out the rest of the JD. units.
  8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I have good and bad about both Scag and Exmark. It really comes down to preference I think. I really like my Exmark.
  9. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

is there any other brand? i love scag machines been using since the early eighties an i have tried em all . Scag is pure quality!!
  10. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

I have a good JD dealer in my area and I take care of a family farm property with 2-3 acres of grass and weeds to mow. The growth get fairly high depending on when I get there. I want a commercial grade like the JD 737 or 757 partly due to resale value as well as crunching taller weeds, cheat grass and salt grass. I'm trading in a Cub Cadet riding mower, 16 hp, 42". It takes me a most of day with that machine and I'm told the ZTR type of even a 54" will allow me to half the time I spend time on the Cadet.

I need advice on whether to get a 54 or 60" deck. I think I want the 25 hp 757 and the 54" deck. I believe it might crunch weeds better than the 60 inch?? Most of the mowing area is open with some trees. The dealer is suggesting the 60 inch - he will have to order either one and the price diff is about $300. What are the pros and cons on these two models and the deck widths? I feel a narrow deck might be better in some cases esp. in heavy weeds. thanks