What to buy?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by msc5195, Jul 26, 2006.

1. msc5195

msc5195 LawnSite Member

I am lookig at buying my first ZTR. I currenty cut 1.75 acres of centipede with a Home Depot Scotts(made by John Deere) 17hp kohler 42" cut. I have been using this mower for 4 years and it has been flawless. The only problem is that it takes me close to 3hours being I stripe or attempt to stripe the lawn. With that said I am looking at either a 18hp 44" FasTrak or the
    20hp 52" FasTrak. The 20/52 is only $200.00 more. Is the extra 2hp enough to support the extra 8" of cut? Is it wort the extra 200.00 and the extra blade cost just to say I have a big mower. I do know that the 18hp/44" will walk circles around my current mower so should I just save the extra cost and settle for it? Also has anyone had any experience with the hustler bagger system? Does it work good? Are the blowers a problem?

THANKS in advance for you input.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The extra $'s spent on the larger deck and engine are worth every penny, I wouldnt hesitate to buy it, especially if your dealer has that good of pricing on the 52".
    Both decks are 3 blade decks, so you are not saving money on a blade.
    I would just make sure the 52" is going to go everywhere on your property that your 41" goes now, as in between trees and obstacles and of course your storage shed or garage.
    As for the blower on the catcher, some early made units had some minor issues, but have since been worked out and this catcher has worked great for us.
    There are many owners here on this site that will chime in with there experience with this mower.
    Let me know if you have any more questions.

Pj

3. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

I have the 16/44" honda. I love the machine but wish I had more HP for the tall grass and mulching. If I had it to do all over again I would either go with the 44" and the most HP or go with the 52" for $200.

Mike

4. pyrguy

pyrguy LawnSite Member

I had a 42" Scott's. Took all afternoon to get the grass cut. Had to make half-passes to get the grass cut sorta OK. Took a lot of trimming cause I could not get all that close to things. Faster to string trim than try to get the mower to cut it.

I got a 52/20 Mini and it now takes about 30 minutes to cut the 3/4 acres front yard with about 10 minutes of trimming.

5. Trouthead

Trouthead LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

There is never any reason that less hp is better, and aside from fitting through gates, around trees, etc wider=faster. Go wide and strong.I dropped from more than three hours with a 42 inch lawn tractor to 40 minutes with a Super Z 60. It is overkill but I am not wasting my life on a mower. Instead I have more time for net surfing. :)

6. msc5195

msc5195 LawnSite Member

Hey Mowerconsultant, There is a new option on the table the dealer says that I can get the MINI Z 19hp Kawi 44" for 400.00 more than FASTRAK. I see that the MINI Z has better drive pumps, a heavy duty air filter system & bigger drive tires. I see that the 19/44MINI Z is 230lbs heaver than the 20/52FASTRAK. Is the extra weight from the drive pumps or is it just built with beefer materials. What other feature make the 19/44 MINI Z better deal than the 20/52 FASTRAK? I know that they are both good mowers but one has to be better than the other.

Also, as far as bagging goes will the 44" deck have better vac than the 52" deck? Im no engineer but I was thinking that blower assisted bagging system would work better with the smaller deck over the larger deck due to the smaller surface area. Does this make any since?

Sorry for all the questions but I am just trying to get the most for my money.

THANKS

Robert

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Both decks perform excellent and also work excellent with the catcher, for 400.00 more I would jump on that deal, you are getting a 100% commercial grade unit for the extra $'s. I would go for that in a heartbeat.
    The extra weight is due to the better drive system, larger tires, heavier frame and deck, etc...etc....

8. msc5195

msc5195 LawnSite Member

THANKS ALOT! That is just what I needed to hear.

9. msc5195

msc5195 LawnSite Member

Hey mowerconsultant can you tell me if there is a bagger and a striping kit available for the MINI Z 19HP/42" deck? If so can you get me the part numbers. I have 1 dealer saying, "yes" and 1 dealer saying, "no" and 1 dealer saying, "I dont know". I am ready to buy TODAY and would love to get the MINI Z over the FASTRAK but I must have a bagger and would like a stripe kit. Plesase let me know ASAP.

THANKS

ROBERT

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

There currently is not a bagger available, it is in the works, I do not have a price or time frame at this time.
    As to the striper, I am not aware of one being available aftermarket or from us.

Pj