1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What to buy

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by softail02, Jun 20, 2007.

1. softail02

softail02 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Hello,

I love this site I have been on the sidelines for a while and just need some help on a purchase.

I work in an office but my love is for my yard and I made the mistake of buying a John Deere form Homedepote 3 years ago and not it just does not cut good and now started to cut all uneven. I replaced the bladed the spindles leveled the deck check air but it cuts uneven kinda like if the axle or rims where bent. So here is my question.

I want to buy a professional machine figure I could help my parents and sister out with it and do there lawn. My friend who I trust very much in this business tell me a walk behind will cut better then a rider? is that true and what to buy? what brand he suggested Toro Hydro 52 walk behind floating deck. I looked at it and seems like it a 2k up charge for the Hydro I question if I need a hydro for the amount I will use it. Any suggestions would be appreciated I would like to stay @ 5K or under and I also like them funky stand on things, but my question is what will I get the best cut with.....:usflag: :drinkup:

2. softail02

from CT

:confused:
    Let me make this simple.

What cuts better
    1: walk behind
    2: zero turn rider

Thanks in advance

3. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

you may can get by with a belt drive and a walk behind will be less expensive than a Z, Shop around at the dealers near you and ask them alot of questions
    Good Luck

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Either will cut great, depending on the deck and blade type used. Of course the type and height of grass will have an effect on the cut quality as well.

Of course WBs and Zs each have their own advangages and disadvantages.

The Toro mower you're talking about is a good mower.

5. Muttonpower

Muttonpower Inactive

The hydro is much easier to use and you will definately appreciate it, but it is quite a bit of money more. Check out Exmark...there are good demos out there that will have a brand new warranty for a year or two as well as a price cut with low hours. Exmark's smoke toros! I would rather ride than walk, but you can get closer for trimming purposes with a walk-behind

6. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

In this heat, I will take a rider over a walk behind and the cut is not enough difference to bother me.

Tim

7. softail02

from CT

Thanks guys for the help... so since my wife is getting a 53K truck this week what could I pick up a Xmark 52'' rider for?:drinkup:

8. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You can find good used walk behinds for 2-3k - people upgrade all the time . You can get all the mower you need for a lot less than 5k .

10. Muttonpower

Muttonpower Inactive

I've got a 52" exmark for $4399.