What to buy???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by exmarkaholic, Mar 6, 2008.

1. exmarkaholic

exmarkaholic LawnSite Member

Hello, I am just starting this lawn care business here in Houston TX I already have a trailer and I already bought some business cards to hand out but should I wait and see what kind of response I get to know what type of equipment I'm going to be buying.........I had in mine that I wanted to buy a Exmark 21", Exmark 26" and a Exmark 32" WB. And of course some of the other equipment. Please let me know what ya ll think, Thanks in advance!!

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I dont think you need 3 small mowers... a 21", 32 or 36 & a 48"+ would be better IMO. I really don't see the reason for having 2 small push mowers.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

What type of properties are you targeting? If you are going mainly 1/4 acre residential, a 32-36 WB would be a good idea. If doing postage stamp lawns only, perhaps you can get away with a 21" this season. Anything larger and you will be walking your beehind off without a little larger mower.

4. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I think you all ways need a 21'' if you have alot of yard with gates
    you will need a 32'' or 36'' but if not a 48'' is the best to me for starting out. I had a 32 and they are a bit too long for me you have to be careful they scalp on hills and bumps if you don't.

5. danielslawncare

danielslawncare LawnSite Member

I have been mowing for a while now and have found agood combo for my needs. i have a 60" deere and a 36"deere walkbehind for the tight areas and fenced backyards. If you go ztrak, agood 60" will do most of your jobs. i do small residential up to several acre plots with mine. it all just depends onwhat you will be mowing

6. exmark22

exmark22 LawnSite Member

I'm going to start this month.
    Have you found pricing on Exmark 21's? I'm in the Southeast Houston area, and was leaning toward Exmark.

7. exmarkaholic

yeah I got a price on the 21 for 1050.00 plus Tax!!! Tomorrow I am fixing my trailer I will be posting pictures soon, I'm still thinking on what to get---buisness cards? fliers? I really don't know what works best, I've seen that there's nothing better then going door to door, Thanks guys!!!!

8. exmark22

exmark22 LawnSite Member

I just ordered 500 business cards from Smart Resolution for $30. I didn't shop around, but that seems reasonable to me. I ordered lawn care invoices from them last year but I can't remember what I paid for them.

According to what I've read at this site, Exmark mowers are exceptional quality. That $1050 is scary though.

I will probably use my Tax refund for a residential 21" from Home Cheapo to start with. Many posts at this site warn of using residential mowers, but the one I'm leaning towards weighs 81 pounds compared to a commercial @ 120 lbs+. Also, the residential costs 1/3 as much as the Exmark.

Have you figured out what to charge for service yet??? I am just going to guesstimate and see what happens.

9. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

A 22" Toro from HD and a good 48" walkbehind from Exmark will get you a good start. Plus their both red.

10. exmarkaholic

Hey exmark, we would just have to learn as we go, sir!!!! It's nice to know I'm not the only one taking a shot at this!!!! Hope and hard work will get us through, Have you decided on a name for your buisness? I just got insurance and liscence Where exactly are you located? Heres my e mail just in case you have a job for me, lol!!! lvlexican_l3oy@mac.com......Thanx alot Atlantic Lawn