1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What to Buy

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jmunday0808, Aug 26, 2010.

1. jmunday0808

jmunday0808 LawnSite Member

Hello
    Im looking for a zero turn. 60" or so.
    So far my options are

Scag Freedom Z,
    Husqvarna MZ 6128, or
    Gravely ZT HD 60. [/B][/B]

I will use it for part time mowing business. I have been using a scag 48 walk behind and love it, therefore I'm leaning toward scag but not completely sure. What are your experiences with any of these machines? I appreciate it. I posted earlier about a great dane stander but I have scratched that idea (to many hours).
    Thanks everyone.

2. rogerdodger

rogerdodger LawnSite Member

You didnt mention Ferris. I Had a 1500Z 48'. I bought it for the ride. Cut n wise, all these mowers are the same as far as cut. I dont care what ea one says. It is sorta like ford or chevy an so on. BUT, none has the ride that Ferris has. 4 wheel independent suspension. I have mowed behind em all and I have to slow down for em. Watch someone mowing on any of the others and watchem bounce. Watch someone on a Ferris and you will SEE what I am talking about.

3. BCLawns

BCLawns LawnSite Member

demo the scag and the gravely. see which one you like best. buy that one.

4. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep.SCAG is the best.research pays off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

scag dealer told me the freedom z is a homeowners model and its not built for commercial use. he told me its made to cut youre own grass once a week and then park it. maybe you should look for a used commercial mower? i started out with a cheap mtd tractor and i saw the guys in my area with scag and exmarks. and after i got one i saw how they hold up and are built. i can see why you buy a commercial mower.

6. jmunday0808

Posted via Mobile Device

7. jmunday0808

Hey everyone thanks for the input. I know I didn't mention a bobcat but that's what I got. Its a fastcat pro. Still in between commercial and homeowner but it had a good bagging system and a five year 500 hr comercial warranty
    Posted via Mobile Device