1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to buy

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hodge, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Interested in Drive 75 or Image. What is a better product for grass and broadleaf control?:confused:
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Drive 75
  3. To control what?

broadleaf = cheap 3 way 2-4,d

crabgrass = drive 75
  4. Hodge

So is drive 75 really only for crab grass control or does it really impact other weed effectively?

And is that the Lesco brand of "cheap 3 way 2-4,d"?

Thanks for all the help... basically I am intereted in is there really one product that can hit broadleaf and grasses effectively, or should I apply two different products at seperate times of apps? And if so what is best initially, I understand changing up the products will help in there control over the years...
  5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking for a product to take out grassy and broadleaf weeds, you might want to take a look at PBI Gordons Trimec Plus. I have used it with excellent results. Drive 75 controls a very limited number of broadleafs, but it is the absolute best post emergent crabgrass control out there. :) ;) :) ED
  6. Hodge

But the limitation to Trimec Plus is the temp, correct?? Since it is a MSMA product, does not the temp have to be above 80 deg to effectivly control broadleaf and grasses? How is Image for this or do I face the same problem with temp (if that really is a problem)?
  7. then go to Trimec 992 or a 2,4-D + Confront + if needed manage + if needed drive 75.

Momentium from Lesco or Milliniulm (I belive).

Most of your chems are limited to 80-85 degrees.

I wouldn't spend the money for an all-in-one product, to costly to do blanket apps.

Spot spray the expensive stuff.

It all also depends on what you are treating, so this might not help you.
  8. Hodge

Actually this does help... was going to buy Trimetic but based upon your info and looking through the search button 'Momentium' might be the way to go for broadleaf control and some grasses. Still having problems on the mix rates for Momentium + Drive 75.... something I know I have to be careful with as even you have burned a couple of yards with this mix, correct????
  9. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I personally use trimec in the Spring and Fall, momentium in the Summer for spot treating. I was not impressed with Drive as a broadleaf weed control, but it does work well as a post emergent for crabgrass.
  10. Don't mix the Drive with another weed control, unless it's Manage...

You won't be doing much braod leaf when working on crabgrass or nut sedge.

I cooked a few many years ago mixing confront with 2,4-D.

The directions for mixing the 2 together were not all that imformative. PLus the gun and walking speed might of had something to do with it also.

It was my first time out ever spraying lawns.