1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to buy?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VitoVella, Mar 29, 2003.

1. VitoVella

VitoVella LawnSite Member

Hello to all!!!!
    :help: My brother and I are wanting to start a small company. I am leaving a 12 year career with The Worlds Finest THE UNITED STATES MARINES. Cutting grass has been a passion of mine since I was a child. I am wanting to go to college and still have time for my family, and the children of a youth group I instruct. So we are only wanting about 15 to 20 accounts. I have deen reserching the different mowers, and they all seem about the same to me. Can I get some input from the pros as to which mower I should get?? And what size of trailer?? :confused: The money will be tight as to me leaving the Marines, so I dont want to waste it on crappy equipment.

"Let us remember those that have given their lives for us"

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the search feature. There has been a ton of discussion on this topic. :) ;) :) ED
  3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

exmark, ransomes bobcat and scag are good to start off with
    i would get a 48 inch hydro w/b for starters
    i would get a 16 foot open landscape trailer.
    i would also get at least a 3/4 ton pickup with a ez dumper bed insert.

i started my company with a 3/4 ton f250 with a ez dumper bed insert.i also had a exmark metro 48 inch cut and a bobcat hydro 48 inch cut with a 16 foot trailer.during the first year i got a 10 hp blower and a 3 wheel exmark rider.had them for 3 seasons then i got 4 new mowers in 2001 all exmarks 2 w/b turf tracer hp 52 inch cut 1 32 inch exmark
    metro and 1 60 inch lazer Z
  4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

How much $$$ do you have to work with?

If you buy really cheap stuff and only get a few accounts you are setting yourself and your customers up for a disappointment.

Commercial or residential? Some commercial accounts want it done at certain times of the day or week.

One word of warning...onnce you start it's addictive. Nothing like a freshly mown yard...oh, I forgot...picking up the check is even better.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

One important factor is that you should have the work lined-up before making any considerable investments.
  6. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on your budget, but if you have no accounts yet, I would not reccomend getting a big expensive mower, untill you start your business and see if you even like it. When you first start there is no reason that you can't get buy with a 21" mower, unless you are doing huge lawns. And it doesn't have to be a $700 21" either. I have used a LawnBoy self-propelled, which is now $378 at Home Depot. It's a lightweight mower with a good engine. I would also reccomend a Snapper mower, they seem to be very well built, although in the $400 price range your engine may not last as long (Briggs and Stratton, most likely) but I would think it should get you through at least one season, and the self-propel seems to give very few problems. As far as the trimmers, I've been pretty satisified with Echo equipment. I used the Echo 26cc trimmer for years and hardly had any problems with it.
  7. Sundancekid74

Sundancekid74 LawnSite Member

I just recently started a landscaping company as of this year and purchased my equipment as cheaply as possible. I acquired thirty accounts by means of door to door advertising (door knockers) which cost just over $200.00 (company logo included). I paid $500.00 for a 36" Ransomes Bobcat and $600.00 for a 48" Scag. Both were belt driven and fairly reasonable. I purchased a 14' trailor for $400.00 and was on my way. I am now (one year later) upgrading my equipment to all Ransomes hydro walk bekind and hope to purchase a zero turn in the near future. All of this being used equipment purchases I find in my local classifieds ads. I also would recommend ebay. One thing is for certain: you will definetely need a 36" walk behind to get into gates and to mow culdasacs. As a new business owner, I wouldn't recommend buying accounts or new equipment. There is a lot to say for a guy who scrapes together a few bucks and over time upgrades and establishes a reputation based on his love for lawn care. Thanks.:hammerhead:
  8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

12 ft trailor, 36 inch walk behind, and a 3/4 truck.....
  9. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Very Good Advice. Good Luck Devil Dog. Retired last year myself with 22. Do a good job and don't go and buy a lot of new equipment. Commercial belt drives will be fine. Don't be fooled into buying residential mowers from home depot. I dont' care who tells you it worked fine for them, it won't for you.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

You dont need a hydro walkbehind and a 3/4 ton truck if you are only going to be doing 20 yards. Get yourself a good 32" or 36" belt drive walkbehind (cubcadet commercial 32"s for $2199 are a steal) and a decent trimmer like a Echo SRM-210 and a backpack blower like a echo PB-610 is the best bang for the buck. For a trailer a single axle 5X10 is all you need. Dont waste your money getting a 16 footer when you arnt looking to expand much. If you have any questions just shoot me a PM.