What to Buy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kenny6425, Aug 7, 2004.

1. kenny6425

kenny6425 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I am brand new to the lawn care business. I started this summer and have really enjoyed the work thus far. I have (5) accounts and hope to gain 15-20 more in 2005. Here are my concerns: all my accounts are 3/4 acre to 1.5 acres, hilly and rough with many obstacles. I am going to purchase new equipment in the spring and have been looking very hard at a Husqvarna iZ4817 zero turn rider. Would this be sufficient or too much for these accounts? I appreciate the feedback.

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Is it available with a larger engine option?

I'd want a little more horse power myself.

How bad are your hills? Bad enough that a rider could be a problem?

3. kenny6425

kenny6425 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

If I spend another $1000 I can have a bigger engine and mowing deck as well. I am looking to only put $10,000 out of my pocket in the spring, that is for everything mower, trailer, trimmer, attatchments, advertising. This mower is $5800. I have (1) employee. The hills are mostly rideable, the ones that aren't we push mow. Another question for you, since you are in the Northeast as well, when should my last mow be? I have told my customers the last week of September, with a final mow and leaf removal in mid October. I am in Maine. Thanks for your expertise.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Well not to sound like a smart ass, but the answer is....... when the grass stops growing. And that can change from year to year depending on weather. It can even change from lawn to lawn.

Last season I was cutting late into October, a year or two before I was done by the first week in October. It varies.

The lawns themselves can vary by two weeks or so.

5. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

If you want a good ZTR at a good Price look at Dixon-ztr.com They are great machines. Good Power and great handleing on hill. I have the 4515B 42" 15.5 Briggs and works like a horse. Just my two cents. Good luck.

6. sdog882007

sdog882007 LawnSite Member

if i were you i wouldn't go with a husky, i would go with a used exmark, scag, or dixie chopper, or get a walk behind so you could do your hills