WHAT TO CHARGE.....................# 2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Apr 13, 2000.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I had to do that! I'm in the same boat and the phone is ringing. I have been cutting a Church yard for the last 2 years, it is mainly open cutting with only the trimming to do around the building. There are no trees or even a good parking lot or flower beds so it's riding for about 2 hrs x 3 mowers minimum. I won't tell you what I've been charging for fear of hearing the laughter from all over the U.S. and Canada but I would like to get an average from everybody so I can present it to the guy in charge. Oh, I have to drive 30 minutes each way just to cut this one place, nothing even close to my route so factor that in. I am using a 50&quot; chopper and a 72&quot; chopper and the 48&quot; slow scag. I will be eagerly awaiting your reply, I'm sure by now its knee deep in weeds and he wanted it cut last Saturday but I didn't make it.<p>Homer

2. eagle lawn services

eagle lawn services LawnSite Member

I simply charge $30 an acre for just cutting it, weedeating, or anything else is extra. As for the thirty miles, you may have to eat that. Another closer service won't have to factor that into their price and you know the saying, it is your competition that sets your price. If you think you can get away with it though or can afford to lose the account, then obviously charge your hourly price for the drive... you could be mowing closer to home making money instead of spending it behind the windshield, so if they are intent on having your service charge for your drive time. <br>Just my two cents.<br>chris h.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Homer, I couldn't laugh. I too have one of these, but not ten acres.

4. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Homer, you should be getting $40.00/ machine/hour for this property. If you're not getting this, you should re-negotiate the contract. Thanks, Lynn

5. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Since it's a church, could you write off the extra amount as a donation? (Consider it part of your 10% that you give back.)

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks everybody, now tell me a dollar figure you would charge. $180.00, $200.00, $250.00? I am cutting it for $160.00 per cut right now, total time to leave home base, mow it, return to home base is probably 4 hrs, pretty good chunk of a day. Since it is a Church, and a small one at that I wanted to give them as good a deal as I could but I also need to make money at it.<p>Homer

7. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

for 10 acres i would charge 350-400 mowing only i wouldnt worry about the drive because you would have a lot more driving than that to do the same amount in residentials<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This is too weird lol. I have almost the same deal. A twenty minute drive. The first time i cut that church it was knee deep in weeds too by the first of april. They made me waite again this year to see if any of the members would cut it haha. I have been doing it for 3 years now. it doesnt matter what you want to get for a church job homer. The deacons of the church are the tightest of tightwads hehe. Just be happy with what you can get and pray they don't make you pay them to cut it:)

9. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

HOMER,I HAVE ALMOST THE SAME EQUIP. AS YOU AND I COULDN'T DO IT FOR LESS THAN $180,AND THAT'S IF I WAS A MEMBER AND I DICTATED HOW OFTEN IT GETS MOWED.THAT'S MAKING WAGES.HIT THEM WITH A COST OF LIVING RAISE FOR THIS SEASON.AND YES I AM A BORN-AGAIN CHRISTIAN!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

10. It's only a 4 man hour job w/ a 72&quot; mower<br>including travel time if there is no trimming.<p>Squeeze another $20 from them for a fuel surcharge.