What to charge a friend

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paulwade1, Mar 23, 2003.

1. paulwade1

paulwade1 LawnSite Member

I have a friend that wants me to mow 5 acres. This land is like pasture. I will see if there are any obsticles or bad terrain tomorrow. Please help price this. No edging or trimming.

Thanks

2. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

It all depends. What kind of equipment do you use? What does pasture mean? Up where I live, pasture is land that can't be farmed- bumpy, wet and rocky. I have an Exmark lazer Z 23 hp w/60" cut. I would guess if you have equivelant equipment, and it is dry & level, you should be able to mow that in app. 1.5 hours. I would do it once and see how long it takes, then charge him your hourly rate.

Hopes this helps.

3. paulwade1

paulwade1 LawnSite Member

I think that he has 5 acres of ......grass, I wouldn't expect rock. I have a 48" Great Dane Z.

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

All depends on how good a friend he is...:D

5. FULL PRICE. Business is business. If he's a real friend, he'll pay your going rate. Unless you're hard-up and he's being charitable. But its best never to hire someone you can't fire. So you may be straining your friendship.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge like it was any other customer. Friend or not you still have a business to run.

7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I will do business with good friends, however money does not become an issue. I don't charge them any money, however I get a good meal after I am done or they help me out in other ways. If I do ever ask for money it is to cover some form of expense such as labor or if I have to buy some form of product. Just my take on things. That is of course if he wants it done once.

8. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

A good friend once told me (as he was charging me for towing my car) help your friends in any way you choose but never I repeat never give away what you do for a living. It made sense to me and I always payed him for the many times he had to rescue me:eek: LOL
    Any real friend will understand.

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Nothing.

Don't work for friends.

I have had most of my bad business experiences working for friends. A few years ago I spent 6 hours working on a friends lawn, used $300.00 in supplies, seed, & fertilizer. I drove 55 miles eash way pulling a trailer with tractor. His wife cooked a decent hamburger meal and they asked me how much they owed me, I said "my expenses were $300.00, just add to that what you would like to give me...the check was for $350.00, after paying for my gas I had about $20.

After that I said I would not do work for friends again....well I did. This past fall a friend asked me if I could do his lawn, I said yes and told him it would be $175.00. After several phone calls and emails I just got the check last week - 6 months later.

10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have a friend that owns a service station. I buy my gas there because he is a good friend. I don't get my gas any cheaper than anyone else.
    My friend needs lawn care at the station. Me, being a good friend mows the lawn for the same rate that everyone else pays. Being a friend got me the job. Not the price.