What to charge a home owners association

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by all star lawn care, May 28, 2005.

1. all star lawn care

all star lawn care LawnSite Member

I'm new to submiting commercial bids and I was contacted by a homeowners association. They are asking for basic lawn care and the seasonal color change. What do I use as a guideline for pricing the area?

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Being new to the world of HOA'S, I would go there and walk and look the areas over and try make them smaller, then price each section and total the numbers up to price the total bid. Keep in mind that it might take you longer than someone else because they might have more productive equipment than you. HOA'S can be a nightmare. :eek: :dizzy:

If your is accepted, it might mean that you bid too low, and that would be a real PITA or a good lesson that you have learned. A lot of the home owner associatioins are looking for the cheapest prices anyway.

As for as the seasonal color bid, it would be a little easier. Figure how many plants you need in the area, some fertilizer, mulch , etc needed for the job.

Plants will be bought from a nursery that would give you a contractor discount and marked up 2 1/2 times the retail cost and then add in labor time to plant, our labor charge is 35-40 per man hour here..
    The fertilizer is put down per thousand square feet, or sometimes you would put it around each plant. If you are doing seasonal color, then it would be broadcast into the area, markup the fert, and I would charge a hourly rate markup the fert also.
    The mulch is purchased by you in bulk, and sold to the customer by the yard.
    We get the mulch for 18-20.00 yard and the charge is 65-70 for a job with not much wheelbarrow time, if you have a lot of areas that will require extensive moving then the charge per yard would be a lot higher.

You wanted some guidelines these are for my area, your area may be the same or different on labor, per yard charges, and plant pricing.

If you go for it and get it GOOD LUCK..
    I would also put in the proposal/agreement a clause that states either party can cancel the services if you get in over your head, and not making enough money.:waving: