What to charge for aerating?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by millenium_123, Feb 20, 2010.

1. millenium_123

millenium_123 LawnSite Member

I'm starting aerating this year and I'm not sure what to charge for that. Suggestions?? I was thinking a starting price of 45-50?? However I have a few really small lawns that I mow for $25. I may only charge 35ish for those.

Also should I mow/scalp before or after aerating?

2. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

usually 3x the cut so cut = $25 aerate=$75. so your really low

3. cody417

cody417 LawnSite Member

$15.00 per 1000 Square Feet to core aerate in two directions. Does not include seeding or fert.

4. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, don't work too hard for too little. I usually charge 75 for aeration alone. I charged 240 for aerate, seed and fert all day long last season. Ive seen bigger companies charging 300 for that plus lime. Just make sure you do a thorough job on your aerating, and they will have no problem paying you money for a job done right. And if they don't want to pay, then they can't afford your services, and move on. Good luck!!

5. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

We dont do it much here in arizona but when I get a call I usually tell them $275 and they usually go for it.

6. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

It would also depend on if you own or rent one.

7. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I rented one last year and did some yards, but Im not doing it anymore, they beat the hell outta me trying to use the aerators!! Im going to get one that mounts on the front of a mower though, that would be much easier.

8. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO...:laugh::laugh::laugh: I know what you mean. I did something different last year, I rented the ones that were not self propelled, and they were a lot better. You had better control and they didn't run you to death.
    Thats what I will get every year. I also rent two of them at a time so me and my helper could both run at the same time and to me, it went so much better because no one is standing around and you get twice as much done. It was well worth it to me.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im $15 per 1000 sq ft with a $100 minimum. Every time I do it I still think thats too cheap. Its like dancing with a fat girl , its a lot of work.

10. cody417

cody417 LawnSite Member

My smallest property is 10,000 square. Charge is $150.00 and I am done in 30 minutes. On a 40,000 square property I charge $600.00 and it will take me approx. 1.5 hours to do. I will take that $/hour rate any day of the week.